VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a couple of pics I took earlier this evening of the inside of the bottom of the fuel tank. For the backstory, read my post on this thread.

The silvery coating is the fuel tank sealer. Unfortunately it also sealed up the screen on the end of the fuel supply line quite well. This required cutting open the bottom of the tank with an angle grinder in order to remove. The silver metal panel you see is the baffle at the bottom of the tank. The tank is flipped over, propped on a cardboard box. I first cut out a small square containing the welded-in supply line outlet, broke the line in half (accidentally) while trying to remove it from the bottom of the tank, and then decided to cut away virtually the entire bottom of the tank, what you see in the photo.

The screen is a small, very fine mesh rectangle (shaped kind of like a small, long Hot Pocket) attached to the end of the supply line like the top of a capital "T." This picture was taken after I had already pulled the screen off the end of the line, hence the hand (of my able roommate John) holding it in place. I'm going to weld everything back up tomorrow.
Hope that provides some insight into how the tank is put together. If you're having fuel supply problems, a clogged screen might be the issue.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Re: Fuel tank interior pictures (spaceship)

Quote, originally posted by spaceship »
If you're having fuel supply problems, a clogged screen might be the issue.

Or it could be the 20lbs of dope someone hid in the tank while trying to smuggle it across the border.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts