VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new owner to a 88mkII Scirocco 16v. When I bought it and drove around and even hauled it across the country there were no hints of any fuel. I was told the gauge was reading a little low. I wasn’t sure what the fuel level was so a day after I got it home I took it out and “filled” the tank.
By filled I mean I pumped about 8 gallons in and stopped when it sounded like it was getting full. The Pump cutoff never kicked in and there was not a drop spilled or over flow. None from the fill and none underneath.
Now I am smelling fuel vapor outside of the car. It seems to be toward the rear. But it is consistent. No leaks, not a drop on the ground. Is there some vent or any reason you can point me to that would be causing this?

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
Did you inspect the gas cap for debris? Is the filler tube flange bent or mangled? Original cap was locking, a pita to remove without the key. Is it the correct cap?
If you look up under the passenger rear wheel arch there's a large clear plastic vent tube that shrinks over time and sometimes pulls off of the filler pipe.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you inspect the gas cap for debris? Is the filler tube flange bent or mangled? Original cap was locking, a pita to remove without the key. Is it the correct cap?
It does not have a locking cap. It has a red cap that seems to seat well and I have removed it a few times to see if the tank is getting pressurized ( it does seem to be, no hiss when taking off). No debris and smell doesn’t seem centered from the fill cap area. Almost seems fro underneath the rear half possible. Is there a carbon canister back there? I have to order a Haynes manual for it as I don’t know much about these. It has been 25+ years since I have messed with an old school VAG and that was a different animal. (1980 Audi Quattro Sports Coupe with the old 5cyl).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fuel door is locking if you have power door locks. My cap is not locking. Never has been.

My original cap is also red.
Ah ok I understand what you mean now. Yes I do have power locks/windows and mirrors. I hadn’t noticed that the fuel door locks though. That is a cool feature. I thought you meant the old key lock caps.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Ah ok I understand what you mean now. Yes I do have power locks/windows and mirrors. I hadn’t noticed that the fuel door locks though. That is a cool feature. I thought you meant the old key lock caps.
I didn't mean the old key lock caps. I was replying to that post because mine has never had a locking cap. It has a locking door.

If you look in the owner's manual it will show how to open the door if the locking system breaks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I have narrowed it down to an area. Not sure what all this stuff is (I ordered a Haynes Manual which should be here soon) but it seems a little wet and can smell fuel here.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I think I have narrowed it down to an area. Not sure what all this stuff is (I ordered a Haynes Manual which should be here soon) but it seems a little wet and can smell fuel here.
Do yourself a favor and pick up a Bentley. The factory service manual is a much better reference than the Haynes.
Also, the MkII fuel tank is prone to leaking, and a safety recall was issued. Check to see if your tank was replaced under the recall. My '88 16v had its tank replaced sometime before my ownership, and the current tank is leaking again. I have a replacement, just haven't installed it yet.

Sent from a Galaxy far, far away.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Did not mean to cause any confusion with my earlier post which was based on my experience. Had an 88 new from the dealer back in the day and an alpine white in the driveway now, both have locking caps. Owners rarely lost their keys but vandals would try to pop the cap with a crow bar resulting in damage. I too had the original tank on the 88 replaced under warranty, that could be your problem. Not sure what part your pic is showing. From memory, I believe the original tank was one piece plastic all the way to the cap. I'll crawl under my alpine and see what that one looks like. I do remember they had to drop the rear axle to replace. Part was free but I had to pay labor, which i thought was lame. I was also young and naive. Dealer convinced me to file an insurance claim for road damage, so I only paid $100 deductible.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No worries. It actually taught me that my door locked which I didn’t know anyway. I checked last night and it does lock. Pretty cool. I’m learning a lot and finding some really nice add ons that the previous owner had done like Brembo parts, full HID lights which are super sweet. Now I am just waiting for some new adjustment hardware for my euro headlights it had come with in a box of parts but a couple of the plastic adjustment screw pieces were broken so I had to order some. Sucks cause I couldn’t find any in the US so I bought some on eBay from Greece and another full set on amazon from China apparently so I’ll see which arrive first.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
No worries. It actually taught me that my door locked which I didn’t know anyway. I checked last night and it does lock. Pretty cool. I’m learning a lot and finding some really nice add ons that the previous owner had done like Brembo parts, full HID lights which are super sweet. Now I am just waiting for some new adjustment hardware for my euro headlights it had come with in a box of parts but a couple of the plastic adjustment screw pieces were broken so I had to order some. Sucks cause I couldn’t find any in the US so I bought some on eBay from Greece and another full set on amazon from China apparently so I’ll see which arrive first.
I have been buying Scirocco and other VW parts from Nick in Greece for over 10 years.

He had new Sirocco parts that were NLA in North America. Most are VW Classic parts.

I think he keeps the parts ready to go because until this year they have all arrived soon.

It might be better now than it was a few months ago but the pandemic had slowed the mail down from Greece.

-OE

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.