VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car just started doing this,but anyways,yesterday went out to start it,the fuel pump wouldnt prime,i had to jumper it(another weird thing i have to note:both of my sciroccos,the fuel pumps dont prime when the key turns to on,i dont hear the bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzrp,i hear it if i just tap/crank the car,then it primes.
onto today,me and my dad were going out for a bit,the car wouldnt start,tried the jumper again,and still no go.
any suggestions?
i think it might be some kind of vapor lock.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Re: fueling issue? (85spraybomb)

Need more info like the symptoms.
Does it crank endlessly and not fire?
Does it fire a little bit but struggle to get going?
Are you POSITIVE your starter is strong and spinning fast enough? (I had an 8v starter in my 16v, and it would spin pretty quick, but not fast enough to start. PUt in a good starter, and it fired up no problem.)
1. You can try yanking a single injector (carefully) and pace it n a small container.
2. Crank the car.
3. If you see fuel, you are ok in that department.
4. Replace the injector.
1. Yank the spark plug.
2. Sit it in the wire, and rest it with the sparking (diode?) end near a piece of clean metal.
3. Crank the car and watch for spark.
4. Getting spark? replace the injector.
If you have fuel and spark, then you are either A) starter, B) timing.
I'm guessing your timing should be ok, but double check it just in case.
Give those things a try, and report back.

Then you have to look at the speed the starter motor is turning

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Re: fueling issue? (wikdslo)

I would start with the simple things like the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump.
If the pump isn't turning on when you turn the key I would find out why 1st before moving on to other things.
Could always clip a volt meter to the wires going to the pump to see if it’s getting any juice.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Re: fueling issue? (BluDemon)

Quote, originally posted by BluDemon »
I would start with the simple things like the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump.
If the pump isn't turning on when you turn the key I would find out why 1st before moving on to other things.
Could always clip a volt meter to the wires going to the pump to see if it’s getting any juice.

From his OP he said that he had jumpered it, and mentioned the bzzzzing sound, so I assumed he was sure it was running, which is why i suggested yanking an injector.

·
Registered
8,922 Posts

check ignition switch! TOO!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: fueling issue? (sciroccohal)

figured it out,my dad swapped all the fuses earlier in the day,he had a 10 amp fuse in for the pump,i put a 25 amp in,and its been fine.
it does seem to start alot rougher then it ever has tho,usually it would crank very short and start quickly,now it cranks longer and starts slow

·
Registered
8,922 Posts

find the fuel pump wire(s) at the Relay plate....are they HOT? (bet they are!)
(after the car has run a bit)....help US help you!
25 amps makes me noivous!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts