VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Full modified haldex 20vT 1991 Golf restoration

Starting this little build thread for more of a progress thread and help others with any questions of syncro/haldex swap as i learn on the way..

here is the car the first day i picked it up from a buddy of mine.. was a big turbo vr6 swap previously to me acquiring it..

Jumped right into stripping the car down for its rust repair on the floor along with fixing the engine bay.. which meant removing the frame rail caps ( i really enjoy the look of the stock frame rails) fixing some of the patch jobs the previous owner did along with making sure everything was smooth and straight

Started to remove all the seam sealer on the bottom of the floors after building this tip over jig with a couple buddies.. everyone doubted my engineering :laugh::laugh:

Once all the seam sealer was removed i found more and more rust :banghead::banged: Crazy how much that crap hides!!

Started to cut out the mk2 exhaust tunnel

Mk3 tunnel is in! now i have a lot more room for the driveshaft and exhaust !!

Fast forward a bit and all the floors are rust free and patched, Started out with a rust Encapsulator then went over every seam that i touched with seam sealer to make sure everything was air/water tight

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
computer died last night.. time to update some more :p:p

More rust repair once i saw this after pulling the rear bumper off

After pulling off the outside panel turned out to be worse then i thought.. (always seems to be :mad::mad:)

bent up this piece to replace the rot!

The Patch panels :cool::cool:

Took some time away from fixing the rust and started to make my engine block look new again... And cleaned/ test fitted all turbo setup/ transmission

Ended up using por15 engine enamel on the block.. stuff works GREAT:thumbup::thumbup:

Prepping for paint

TEST FIT!!! :cool::cool:

Its gonna be a tight fit but looks like everything will work! I am going to vband the lower side of the downpipe so that should give me a bit more room but not much :laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know a lot of these photos don't really go in order, Making this thread kind of mid build :laugh::laugh:

Shaved a bunch of things that i don't need/want

Front driverside wiper hole... Going with a bonrath setup

rear bumper exhaust cutout and toe hook flap

Rear badge going bye bye

Test fitted the syncro beam along with cutting out the spare tire well for clearance for the differential

Also wanted to see how some of my chrome goodies looking on the white/black combo

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Holy holy holy moly. So in for more. Your got some serious skills man! Great work on the restore and rust repair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MORE UPDATES

RIV NUTED everything i could to get rid of the old stripped out course screws that are stock

Got some more back from chrome Brackets for seatbelts along with beauty washers for fenders, rear hatch striker

Had one of my buddies make me a sheetmetal timing cover which is in the process of getting platted :):)

for the most part i am caught up on the thread now.. now time for present updates :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Holy holy holy moly. So in for more. Your got some serious skills man! Great work on the restore and rust repair
THANK YOU!! i have learned a lot over the years... This car here was kind of my trial car

Parted this car out a little over a year ago which then i wanted to start something new, and put towards all the things i have learned from the old car to this car..:):)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Litle bit of an update

I had sometime this weekend to finish the engine to get it ready for color. :cool::cool:

Also started to smooth out the rear badge that i ended up getting rid of.. smoothing out some little dings on the driverside rear quarter

If all goes well it'll be all one color the first weekend of october :D:D

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
received my timing cover back from platting :D:D along with mounting my turbo! Damn this motor is really going to look sharp in the engine bay:heart::heart:

now back to prepping for paint :peace::peace::peace::peace:

1 - 20 of 138 Posts