VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
9,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the advantages of both and disadvantages of both. Do full size spares off longer range in driving compared to donuts? I know that VW after 84 changed their cars to donut wheels, but I do remember the MKIV commericals saying they had full size spares. Why would they change to a donut wheel then revert back to full size later on? My Scirocco has a full size, Our old Eurovan did and the Quantum had a donut/

· Registered
84 Posts
Re: Full Size spare tire vs. Donut spare (Aw614)

Mk 4s all come with full-size spares. I dunno why VW bounced between the two. A full size spare is just like carrying a steel wheel with a regular tire on it. It is definitely heavier and more expensive than a cheap, light donut. Take it however you will. I like the security and convenience of a full-size.

· Registered
2,841 Posts
Re: Full Size spare tire vs. Donut spare (Krashlocke)

the only mk4s that dont get full size spares are 4motion models and the new R32. they're available with either an 18" donut with a 125mm width tire (ive seen one) which fits snugly in their shallower spare tire well, OR a new "repair kit" which is a styrofoam tool box in place of the spare with air compressor and tire repair tools, including that spray foam stuff.

· Registered
560 Posts
Re: Full Size spare tire vs. Donut spare (Aw614)

There are speed and distance restrictions for donuts. Not over 50 or 55 mph, not for longer than a couple of hundered miles. Not sure of exact numbers here. If you are caught far from home and use the donut, you'd have to get the "normal" tire fixed pretty quickly. Happened to my brother on his way to Boston in his brand new C240, just the other day. He thought he had a donut from reading the owners manual, but when he looked in the trunk there was a full size spare.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.