VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
14,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I passed a Audi A4 1.8T on the Gardner Expressway this morning. Black with Black leather interior. And I thought. What does his car have that mine (fully loaded 2002 1.8T GTI) doesn't? I mean it's a sedan not a hatchback and the spring rates are probably a little more damped. But in terms of options, build quilty and performance I bet we're pretty damn close.
I love my GTI so much.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Re: Fully loaded GTIs and Jettas are basically Audis (hawc)

That's one of the reasons I bought my car -- I had always wanted an A4, but just couldn't bring myself to spend the extra dollars for one.
When I drove the GTI (especially the GLX I eventually purchased), I thought to myself, "This feels like a little Audi!"

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Re: Fully loaded GTIs and Jettas are basically Audis (dts)

heh.. the TT is a Golf in drag with tuned suspension..

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Re: Fully loaded GTIs and Jettas are basically Audis (Godlike)

and chipped... That is all..
quote:[HR][/HR]heh.. the TT is a Golf in drag with tuned suspension..
[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
28,093 Posts

My wife bought a Passat in early 1997. We couldn't justify spending the extra money for an A4, especially when VW had 0% financing.

·
Banned
14,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Fully loaded GTIs and Jettas are basically Audis (IndigoTwo-Oh)

See perfect example. Indigo Two-oh drives a VW but his sig is an Audi badge. 'Nuff said.

·
Registered
12,763 Posts

I don't know about build quality...
I sure hope Audi has better build quality than VW. I've found so many broken clips and parts not snapped in already.

·
Registered
397 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]See perfect example. Indigo Two-oh drives a VW but his sig is an Audi badge. 'Nuff said.[HR][/HR]​
What are you saying?

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Re: Fully loaded GTIs and Jettas are basically Audis (U n i o n 0015)

People thinking like this is the reason VW just announced last month they're breaking more ties with Audi. They'll be no more platform and engine sharing in the future between the two brands.

·
Registered
132 Posts

your badge above how many posts you have. I think that is what he means. You need to switch it to something VW, stay loyal!j/k

·
Banned
14,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Fully loaded GTIs and Jettas are basically Audis (PhilHVW)

quote:[HR][/HR]People thinking like this is the reason VW just announced last month they're breaking more ties with Audi. They'll be no more platform and engine sharing in the future between the two brands.[HR][/HR]​
Whatever! Sure there will be. They just won't be as public about it. Audi is a tiny company compared to VW and it needs VWs economy's of scale to survive.
Question: What is Porche's connection to VW and Audi? I remember VW parts used to be stamped with all three logos. Are they still connected or what?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re: Fully loaded GTIs and Jettas are basically Audis (betta jetta)

quote:[HR][/HR]your badge above how many posts you have. I think that is what he means. You need to switch it to something VW, stay loyal!j/k
[HR][/HR]​
I know what he was referring to, but I want to know what he meant by that comment.

·
Banned
14,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]See perfect example. Indigo Two-oh drives a VW but his sig is an Audi badge. 'Nuff said.
What are you saying?
[HR][/HR]​
No disrespect bro, I assume you chose an Audi sig so you could find your posts more easily on the page. All I mean is that you obviously feel the link between the two is close enough, that you feel comfortable using the Audi badge sig even though the majority of your posts are on the VW section of VW Vortex

·
Registered
397 Posts

I think it just looks better, I don't really make statements when picking my "avitar" or whatever its called.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Re: Fully loaded GTIs and Jettas are basically Audis (PhilHVW)

quote:[HR][/HR]People thinking like this is the reason VW just announced last month they're breaking more ties with Audi. They'll be no more platform and engine sharing in the future between the two brands.[HR][/HR]​
uhmm.. who gets the W series engines then?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]And I thought. What does his car have that mine (fully loaded 2002 1.8T GTI) doesn't? [HR][/HR]​
Its called Quattro my boy!

·
Registered
33,982 Posts
Audi does need of VWs economy of scales, but it doesnt mean they have to share products just source of materials for their own products.
Now, the interesting part about the end of across brands collaboration.
- 1.8T engine is an Audi developed engine, so is the V6 30V in the Passat. Consider them gone from VW line up in upcoming years. Maybe the V5 sold in markets elsewhere is going the debut in VW NorthAmerican markets. Would we be seeing TDIs, 2.0s, V5s, and V6s in Golfs/GTis/Jettas/NB? Understand V5 as VR5 - 20 valve; and V6 as VR6 - 24 valve, to keep current with European badging of those engines.
- Base engine in the future for the Passat? V5 or V6 (VR again, with 4 valves per cylinder.) WR8 as medium range option, WR12 as top end option.
- 3.2L VR6 24valve (230HP-250HP) as the new high end offering for the end of the A4 run, or begining of the A5?
The comments from the new CEO about across brand collaboration open up a lot of speculation.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts