VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i bought a corrado and i am trying to work through some of the wiring. 92 vr6 manual car with a 93 passat vr6 auto ecu and harness. the activ system was deleted I think; there's new wires run to the speakers. The a/c was also half way deleted, missing condenser, lines, and drier but not the evaporator or compressor.
this is one of the reasons I'm checking over the wiring, I also have to wire in the reverse light switch.

what is this module for?

and these plugs?
these two are in the same harness that comes through the firewall.

this one comes from the cluster, maybe a rear fog light indicator?

don't know what these are for

missing ground going into the drivers door?

two more loose wires

loose relay

and the mess I'm looking at for laughs

·
Registered
8,325 Posts
proberly solder and heat shrink that first wire
that module is for the ABS
the rest, i have no clue...but i've got a bunch myself lol
good luck

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Re: fuse box wiring (FlatlanderSJ)

ok, here goes..
#1 - looks like the Alarm, Starter wire was bypassed, however, I would have expected to see one of those be a Red/Bk wire. Since the harness was from a Passat, it is possible that they are both R/G iirc.
#2 - ABS module
#3 - Not rear sure (maybe because it was from Passat), but Bl/Y is usually for an external oil pressure gauge, Gr/Bk is usually for the oil pressure sender indicator or possibly the oil temp (external Gauges), etc.
#4 - 1x Blue plug R/w wire goes to the cluster and can be ignored on 5 speed
#5 - 2x blue plug - Can't recall off hand
#6 - 1x green blug - Can't recall off hand
#7 - 1x Br plug = MIL wire
#8 - 1x Yellow plug with b/y wire = load reduction relay circuit. Should go to similar wires in one of the junction boxes clipped on the top of the fuse panel
#9 - additional ground was for Alarm/Door Trigger
#10 - Would need to check Bentley for loose #53 relay

Modified by sdezego at 3:58 PM 4-20-2010

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Re: fuse box wiring (sdezego)

Forgot to mention is that the general rule of thumb is that: "if it is unplugged" leave it unplugged unless there is something that is not working and you have correctly identified it

There are quite a few plugs that to not get attached even from the factory depending on model and options.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by sdezego »
Forgot to mention is that the general rule of thumb is that: "if it is unplugged" leave it unplugged unless there is something that is not working and you have correctly identified it

There are quite a few plugs that to not get attached even from the factory depending on model and options.

thank you, I was really worried about the wires hanging and since there's much work to be done i figured i would go in there and double check the wiring just to make sure no more were hanging loose, you know since i hear all the time about fires.

·
Registered
8,325 Posts
first note: man you bite your finger nails worse than me lol
as for the relay...do your horns work? 53 is the horn relay.....it's also commonly used to replace the fog light relay so that you can use the fogs when ever you want (as long as parking lights are on)

·
Registered
3,469 Posts

Quote, originally posted by FlatlanderSJ »
so i bought a corrado and i am trying to work through some of the wiring. 92 vr6 manual car with a 93 passat vr6 auto ecu and harness. the activ system was deleted I think; there's new wires run to the speakers. The a/c was also half way deleted, missing condenser, lines, and drier but not the evaporator or compressor.
this is one of the reasons I'm checking over the wiring, I also have to wire in the reverse light switch.

what is this module for?

and these plugs?
these two are in the same harness that comes through the firewall.

the first one is most definitly the alarm bypass. trace it back towards the firewall. as mentioned above, there should be a red/black wire that goes to the starter. that red/black can be connected directly to the fuse block if you don't keep the alarm functional
the second is the abs computer
the thrid and forth are the leftovers from converting passat vr6 auto to manual.

i have a thread somewhere here showing conversion of a passat auto to manual for my girlfriends mk3 cabby. lemme find it took a coupla nights of comparing the 2 wiring diagrams to sort it all out. you may wanna do that in order to help get a grasp of what that mess all means! the easiest way i found to figure out what the wires were was to go to the other end of them and try and identify what they were connected to and work it backwards from there. tedious but better than guessing!
also be aware that not all connectors have homes. most of the orphans are single wires as the majority of your pics show.
oh yeah, you're gonna want booze nearby for this. trust me.

Modified by boner at 6:59 PM 4-20-2010

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FV-QR

been through most of them. got the ignition wire soldered up and heat shrunk. I shrunk the open red and black connector also. I think there's so many wires back there that my fuse box wont sit vertical it only sits horizontal, is that the way its supposed to be?
I also couldn't find a spot for the yellow connector with the yellow/black wire in it. I have a group of black, blue, and gray and green connectors but no yellow.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Re: FV-QR (FlatlanderSJ)

Quote, originally posted by FlatlanderSJ »

I also couldn't find a spot for the yellow connector with the yellow/black wire in it. I have a group of black, blue, and gray and green connectors but no yellow.

That one definitely goes into one of the junction boxes to power and accessory, but just make sure before just plugging it in. Something has to NOT be working but may be something like heated mirrors, etc.
Here is a pic , but take it as a grain of salt, because this guy was having wiring issues and wasn't sure the wires in the junction box were in correct places. However, notice the one junction box with the Yellow plug?
Also, yes the panel should swing up vertically. If you straiten everything up and tuck the wires behind the panel neatly, it will go up properly.

To Re-Iterate, wires in this pic may not be all correct!!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FV-QR

so i looked it up and its coming out of connector D pin 3 witch according to a2resource is ["D/03 Heated Outside Mirrors (models with "always on" mirrors)] not sure if this pertains to the corrado because there is also another wire (P/03 Rear Window Defogger Switch, Heated Mirrors (1982+ Corrado, Passat)] i'll have to look at these wires tomorrow when I get a chance.

·
Registered
8,316 Posts

1= is the alarm as noted, they cut this to get the white fuse block plug out of the car, then they spliced it together really half assed.
2= ABS module
3= auto plug, it wont be used on a manual car
4= this should be the extra wire for the passat starter which is not used on a corrado and it goes nowhere so no need to shrink wrap
5= could with what shawn said, not really sure on this exactly
6= that plug needs to be separated and should be reconnected to a later pic. red/blk is aux water pump, brown/red is the yellow coolant sensor
7= no clue
8= looks familiar but i cant recall, might be part of the engine wiring see if you can find the other end somewhere with the SAME color
9= has to be a power wire for something
10= supposed to be unplugged (factory this way)
11= these coincide with #6 you need to get these to plugged in
12= just a relay if its plugged in then great, put it back on top of the fuse box where it belongs. they unplugged it for the engine swap, it too is part of the engine wiring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts