VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone tell me how to check if my fuse panel is dead? i have it out of its holders, but the wiring is a complete jungle behind it. it looks as though you can crack the thing open, but im not sure.
It (the car) does not want to start, and ive tried MANY things, so i might as well check the panel, and ive heard these lil suckers like to die, so any help is great, thanx http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Fuse panel (vw16v88)

yep, car does not want to fire, ive gotten this thing to start twice, and within a day period it would start, but then if i left it for anywhere from two hours to a day, i does not want to start. ive checked the ICM, fuel pumps, relays, coil, hall sender, distro, grounds, you name it. im checking the fuse panel, b/c a local guru told me to check that out, and ive heard these things go, or a part of the panel at least, idn, whatever help i can get, im thankful for. with this car and the shape its in, i wouldnt doubt anything

· Registered
9,858 Posts
Re: Fuse panel (vw16v88)

Quote, originally posted by vw16v88 »
I would say that the likelihood of the entire fuse panel "not working" is extremely rare.

it IS extremely rare, but it DOES happen. the fusepanel can develop an internal short...usually the result of exposure to water (read:windshield seal leak)...does your car show any signs of water leaks way up there under the dash? look for dried 'trails' where water has been. might help to have a friend at the ready w/ a garden hose while you lay on your back in the footwell w/ a flashlight.
just make sure it's not caused by a leak or else your new/replacement panel will suffer the same fate.

· Registered
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Fuse panel (ginster86roc)

well i havent had the car long enough to even drive it, so i wouldnt know if there is a leak, but the garden house sounds like a good idea. ill check to see if there is a leak, but is there anyway to test the fuse panel? thanx

· Registered
9,858 Posts
Re: Fuse panel (bikerbill2021)

i'll pull out the bentley tonight and see if there are any continuity tests. but i don't believe the panel could/should be dissected....unless you have a spare in reserve....but then, if you had a spare you wouldn't be asking these ?s

· Registered
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Fuse panel (ginster86roc)

true
but thanx ill look back here in a few hours to see what you found. ive heard some part of the fuse panel goes out though, maybe not the whole thing, but some part is a common prob, is this true? idont know what else to check

· Registered
311 Posts
Yeah, one can crack 'em open. I've got a pile of them for when I have a spare three hours, or am short the 90 bucks to get a new one. It's definitely a PITA. And if you don't have an appropriate block to pirate parts from, sometimes pointless. More likely are the connectors going into the block (new pieces can be had), the grounds up inside the dash and the ignition switch.
My .02

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.