VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Model 3P, 981 Boxster S
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright folks, let's get a discussion going around future classics of the 2010s that are not obvious. I think one day those a bit younger than us will look fondly at certain models we never cared about.

I'll go first.

FX50 S
I bet there's was some middle schooler in 2013 (now 22 years old) who thought this was a very cool car and has fond memories of them. We're gonna see them at Litwood in 2045.

·
Registered
1994 Bmw 540i Touring, 1974 Bmw 2500
3,937 Posts
I'm not sure what's the obvious choices are, but I think the Tesla Model 3 and some of the crazier Tesla Model S-variants have a good shot at becomming appreciated assuming there aren't bricked by their software or something. These were the first cars to truly show the performance potential of EVs and brought EVs to masses without coming across as penality boxes. Both also have relatively sleek and clean designs that I suspect will age well.

·
Registered
'18 Camry SE, '15 F150 XLT, '05 Golf, '91 GTI VR6
5,167 Posts
Non-GTI hot hatches are going to be near-term classics, especially since we've started entering the CUV-everything phase. The GTI has always set the standard and VW has staked the future of the Golf platform (at least in the US) on it. But everything else seems to come and go - the Ford ST models, Mazdaspeed3, Hyundai Veloster N (and no i30 N here to begin with), WRX hatch...etc.

The GR Corolla seems like it's a saving grace for the hot hatch, but limited production and absence of real pricing at this point leave me to believe that it's going to be a limited run and done, and thus will become a classic almost immediately due to rarity and unavailability.

·
Registered
19,769 Posts
Lowkey that's a cap TheDarkEnergist

My vote is the final model years of the E92 M3. Last NA powered M3, high revving V8. Some late model competition packs with low miles some are already close to selling for their original ~80k MSRP but can also find nice clean lower mileage examples for close to half MSRP or in the 50k range.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Solstice Coupe with a 6 speed.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
Lowkey that's a cap TheDarkEnergist

My vote is the final model years of the E92 M3. Last NA powered M3, high revving V8. Some late model competition packs with low miles some are already close to selling for their original ~80k MSRP but can also find nice clean lower mileage examples for close to half MSRP or in the 50k range.
When they first came out the dealership group I was at got a base car with no sunroof and cloth seats. I think it was 55k. I was the only person there that was ga ga over it. Took quite a while to sell. Wish I could have bought it.

·
Registered
2015 Honda Civic Si, 2016 Jeep GC High Altitude
534 Posts
I think the 9th gen Civic Sis will increase in popularity. Last of the N/A VTEC Sis. The market is already starting to trend that way to some extent.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
I'm not sure what's the obvious choices are, but I think the Tesla Model 3 and some of the crazier Tesla Model S-variants have a good shot at becomming appreciated assuming there aren't bricked by their software or something.
Definitely not. The Model S, with the same basic design/body panels etc
The base Raven refresh leapfrogged the P85D by a lot
The current base Model S is just as fast as the previous Raven P100DL.

And the Model 3, they all look the same. Good for resale value, but not the rare classic in later years.

Now the original Tesla Roadster 3.0 with pack upgrade, that’s definitely going to be a rare and sought after classic.

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car

·
Registered
1994 Bmw 540i Touring, 1974 Bmw 2500
3,937 Posts
Definitely not. The Model S, with the same basic design/body panels etc
The base Raven refresh leapfrogged the P85D by a lot
The current base Model S is just as fast as the previous Raven P100DL.

And the Model 3, they all look the same. Good for resale value, but not the rare classic in later years.
Rare is not a requirement for being considered a classic. A first generation Mustang, a classic Porsche or a Bmw e30 are dime a dozen yet I don't think many doubt their "classic status".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts