VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Holidays to everyone.
I have been doing a search, combined and separate and can't find some good info. I have about 30K on the .:R,and it is time for an upgrade. I would like to buy tires with wheels ( OZ) and I am debating on the size 18" vs 19" (superturismo). But not to far from now I will also be buying a new suspension (Euro OEM). Would someone help me on pros and cons of size and/or compatible setup. Thank you in advanced.

· Registered
18,843 Posts
A few years ago I would have said that 18s will ride way better than 19s. But, with 19s becoming more and more the norm and their being more available tire choices for that size it's not as big of a difference.
Mostly because different tire makers have different sidewall stiffness. For example (even though it's a 18 wheel) the goodyear eagle F1s I had on my car seemed a tad on the harsh side. The Pilot Sport PS2 tires I have on it now are more comftorable.
If you get a 8.5in rim go with a 235 tire, if it's 8 or 7.5 go with a 225.

· Registered
10,614 Posts
Re: Future upgrade. Need help (anduchi)

Living in FL I imagine your roads are better than ours in the northeast....I personally have always preferred 19s over 18s simply because of the look. I've also always run coils when running 19s IN CASE of rubbing, but with 18s you will ride lower, once lowered, and then risk hitting more important areas of the car than a fender (ie oil pan). I'd suggest 19s, with the right tires they will ride just as nice as 18s and imo look 10x better. Good luck

· Registered
3,908 Posts
Re: (iThread)

Quote, originally posted by iThread »

If you get a 8.5in rim go with a 235 tire, if it's 8 or 7.5 go with a 225.

why is that? is it just better to have a thinner tire? does it fit better on the wheel? or is it for the looks?

· Registered
1,292 Posts

I actually went the other way in the size... I have 17 " OZ ultraleggeras with real sticky KHUMO's for those fun days (lighter setup by far). I also sport custom BBS RC's 18" with PS2's from Michelin. For the cold months I kept the stock Aristos with some Blizzak rubber. Sometimes I also use the stock Audi TT rims from 225Q, they use the standard all weather CONTIS. I keep swaping sets between both cars which makes it kind of fun.
Big difference between all of these but I would never go 19" on the rim. The roads around here in chilli Illi are crap and it would not take long to screw a setup that big. My 2 cents.

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Future upgrade. Need help (vwapasionado)

I used to live in Chicago ( Evanston), and the road here in Central Florida ( Melbourne Beach) are a lot better, hence the reason for thinking on going 19s. Tirerack has a special on 19s right now. Not planning on having so many set ups available, but thanks for the input

· Registered
3,908 Posts

Quote, originally posted by anduchi »
Have you heard good things about OZ Superturismo 19"?
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

why would you WANT the superturismo? the aristos are nicer, unless you want the aristo look but lighter and better, id go with the SLs in 19 or even better the SL3s...but my personal fave is the BBS LMs or the BBS RKs...oh i love them both....!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.