VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Taken from this thread in the Art and Design forum, thanks to user MattV-Dub. This guy creates some awesome fantasy sci-fi paintings, and I love his choice of cars. It seems like he deliberately uses mundane cars from the late 90's back to set the dystopian tone for his work.

Artist is Simon Stalenhag

http://www.simonstalenhag.se/

Enjoy

There's a ton more with detailed close ups on the site linked.

·
Registered
705 Posts
All this reminds me of the Iron Giant for some reason. Looks like it would make a cool movie or show.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
:thumbup::thumbup:

·
8,120 Posts
Cool stuff.

It's a bit easy to brush (pun not intended) these off as sci-fi art, but the close ups on his site shows the skill the artist has. His brushwork and ability to render items in an incredibly realistic yet painterly way is quite admirable. The use of somewhat modern cars and misc. household items (CRT monitor) has me thinking: are these scenes from the past in a skewed/parallel/alternate universe, or is this a future world where only older technology 'survived?'

The dude obviously has an infatuation with large RWD American iron: Olds 98, Caprice, Crown Vic, etc.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Cool stuff.

It's a bit easy to brush (pun not intended) these off as sci-fi art, but the close ups on his site shows the skill the artist has. His brushwork and ability to render items in an incredibly realistic yet painterly way is quite admirable. The use of somewhat modern cars and misc. household items (CRT monitor) has me thinking: are these scenes from the past in a skewed/parallel/alternate universe, or is this a future world where only older technology 'survived?'

The dude obviously has an infatuation with large RWD American iron: Olds 98, Caprice, Crown Vic, etc.

I completely agree. The "Sci-Fi Fantasy Art" was more a commentary on the subject matter. He's has a fantastic eye for detail, and the skills to back that up. He is able to create a distinct feel that makes you want to know more about the reality he has envisioned.

I LOVE that he has all the close ups on his site. Really shows off his attention to detail and realism while still keeping the 'painterly' way as you describe it.

·
Registered
21,825 Posts
This one in particular reminds me of the book "Ready Player One". They called these giant racks of mismatched trailers, buses, etc. "The Stacks". They were outside of what was once Oklahoma City.

·
Registered
2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
827 Posts
This one in particular reminds me of the book "Ready Player One". They called these giant racks of mismatched trailers, buses, etc. "The Stacks". They were outside of what was once Oklahoma City.

Loved that book! Also enjoying all of these works of art

·
Registered
21,825 Posts
Man...I love the art. That first set, with the road trip, the controlled people with the helmets on, the weird power grid and robots....I really want there to be a story. A war, the taking of the car, the road trip. It could even be an animated movie with no words, and it would work.

·
Premium Member
18,770 Posts
Man...I love the art. That first set, with the road trip, the controlled people with the helmets on, the weird power grid and robots....I really want there to be a story. A war, the taking of the car, the road trip. It could even be an animated movie with no words, and it would work.
This!! The stories would be amazing.

·
Registered
45,022 Posts
All this reminds me of the Iron Giant for some reason. Looks like it would make a cool movie or show.
Maybe it's the giant robots in otherwise ordinary situations. ;)

I like these. Sure, they're campy, but as silverspeedbuggy says, they're also good and done in a painterly fashion. (Yes, that's the word. :)) Now, as to whether they're actually done on canvas or with sophisticated software I can't say. I didn't read how they were actually done, but that's okay. I kinda like the ambiguity afforded by modern programs sometimes. :thumbup:

Also, it made me think of this that's been floating around the internet for a long time. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts