VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey pick up some parts for a 84gti,, found a cam, how can i tell if its a g-grind cam from the stock cam? any signs i should be looking for?any part number/

·
Registered
14,868 Posts
Re: g grind cam info (vw90)

get a caliper and measure it.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Re: g grind cam info (wantacad)

I have the same issue but mine is a used part. There are various markings
25 CWC F1 ...I was told that the AUtotech cams have a tear drop symbol. If I measure I would need to buy something to measure with. Isn't there an easier way?

·
Registered
10,608 Posts
Re: g grind cam info (chickenfriend)

Quote, originally posted by DAVEG »
I have the same issue but mine is a used part. There are various markings
25 CWC F1 ...I was told that the AUtotech cams have a tear drop symbol.

In almost all cases, any markings cast into the billet of the cam are NOT useful for identifying the cam, only marks which are stamped or etched on the cams are at all useful. This is because the same raw billets get used to make any number of different grinds. Marks like these are what to look for, in this case, the hand scribed name is the manufacturers grind number and can be cross referenced to find the specs.

Quote, originally posted by DAVEG »
If I measure I would need to buy something to measure with. Isn't there an easier way?

Everybody needs something like this in their toolbox, whether they think they do or not. They're only about $20, just buy one, you'll never regret it.

Modified by ABA Scirocco at 12:37 PM 3-14-2010

·
Registered
864 Posts
Re: g grind cam info (ABA Scirocco)

I called Autotech and they said their G Grind cam has the numbers 025 B or 423 stamped on the end. Measuring would be the real guarantee of accuracy but if the numbers are there that would also be a valid check.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.