VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking for the metal piece to bolt onto the intake of my g-lader that i can then clamp a tube onto....like this:

does anyone know where to get something like this? it would be easy enough to have made up but probably cheaper if someone already makes this piece. thanks.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
25,010 Posts
Re: G-Lader Intake (itchyG60)

Quote, originally posted by itchyG60 »
this is what i have now and its too restrictive. need something wider.

Im in the same boat as you

Im gonna windup making a custom tube less restrictive

· Registered
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: G-Lader Intake (SUV-ETR)

Quote, originally posted by SUV-ETR »
Well, you already have a KK charger...

Works for me!
Neal

the outer diameter of that intake is 2 1/4" which is the same as what i have..

going to have to get something made up i think.

· Registered
1,012 Posts
Re: G-Lader Intake (itchyG60)

Quote, originally posted by itchyG60 »

the outer diameter of that intake is 2 1/4" which is the same as what i have..

I didn't know the other one was 2.25". Looks smaller in the picture...
The charger inlet is also 2.25". The KK intake fits it very nicely. So, if the one you have is 2.25", and the charger inlet is 2.25", what exactly are you hoping to accomplish by going larger?
The system is only as good as the most restrictive point...
Neal

· Registered
2,288 Posts
Re: G-Lader Intake (1,3LG60)

bust out the milling machine and and a boring bar to enlarge the inlet of the charger... then get a 3" o.d. mandrell bend to match the machined intake of the charger if you want it larger without welding.

· Registered
3,156 Posts
Re: G-Lader Intake (jwatts)

Are your IC pipes 3"? The IC itself? The TB?
I dunno...I think a good filter will do more to release restriction than going from 2.25 to 3". My whole thing is 2.25 except for the TB itself. But I can't put an intake on my car because it makes the lysholm 5x louder.

I use the airbox.

· Registered
2,288 Posts
Re: G-Lader Intake (URIN 2ND)

just the inlet to the charger is 3". It does help a bit on the response, but the internal condition of the charger (decent apex seals and lack of scoring on the sealing walls) makes a bigger difference in performance... especially the amount of kluber you have left in there
The IC piping is a different story it's easier to force X amount of air through a small opening than it is to draw the same amount through that same opening. All of my IC piping is the stock and Eurosport tubing diameters.

· Registered
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

i wanted to get the intake just a little bigger.. maybe 2.5" or a little more. i thought the extra air in would help with throttle response. also... the remainder of the air intake system is after the charger, when the air is compressed, therefore fitting into a smaller area (ie: 2.25" diameter tube). however, before the charger it is just ambiant air, uncompressed, and therefore would take up more space. i'm not an engineer or anything, but i woud imagine that moving compressed air through 2.25" is not the same as moving uncompressed air through 2.25" tube. so i would guess that 2.25" intake is the bottleneck in the system. i guess that's basically what you're saying mr. watts now that i read your post again.
i didn't know that the intake to the charger was only 2.25" i thought it was larger when i measured a while back (2.5" at least). so i'll just wait until i drop the rad for the second intake and run two 2.25" intakes.
charger is brand new, ported, and full of kluber.

Modified by itchyG60 at 8:19 PM 7-17-2003

· Registered
1,012 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jwatts »
bust out the milling machine and and a boring bar

Aw DAMN!! I left that stuff in the pocket of my coat that went to the cleaner's yesterday!! Now I'll have to get another one.

Our new "Mr. CNC" is already beginning to forget the humble and meager capabilities of his fellow G60 friends!
Just wait till he's doing 350whp with his new 16v turbo. He'll be so cool he won't even talk to us anymore!

But to your point, itchyG60, the charger inlet is just a *hair* bigger than 2.25". The 2.25" pipe fits inside of it really nicely. So, I suppose the I.D. of the pipe is a hair smaller than 2.25"...but I don't think it would matter much.
Unless you port your charger inlet like Mr. CNC up there, or get one of those crazy re-welded GT-80 inlets or whatever they're called, a nice mandrel bent 2.25 intake with a good high-flow filter is probably the best you can do.
Neal

· Registered
24,970 Posts
Re: G-Lader Intake (SUV-ETR)

i still believe that allowing air to intake into the charger (dual sided) would increase the efficiency.
Logically air travelling one way into the g60 can't possibly enter the chamber as efficient as a dual intake.
Even if the 2nd intake (boost return) was a measly 1" wouldn't that allow air flow to enter both sides thus reaching the chamber more equally?
my physics sucks, so mr watts or some of your ME's can explain what im trying to say.
Alternatively, i thought it would be cool to just cut the top off the G60 intake tube and stick an upside down K&N in place kinda WS6 ram air fashion

Air entering straight down into the G60 would seem even more optimal than from both sides (or one side)?
Or am i just dreaming?

· Registered
3,133 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jwatts »
bust out the milling machine and and a boring bar to enlarge the inlet of the charger... then get a 3" o.d. mandrell bend to match the machined intake of the charger if you want it larger without welding.

I work in a machine shop, and we have 4 CNC milling machines and a CNC lathe, and a Summit boring mill, and all this fancy jazz. So I think I may go ahead and do this. Also, there's a fabrication shop there and the best welders I know work there, so getting aluminum welded on should be a breeze. So you can safely bore through the entire intake tract to an ID of 3"?

· Registered
2,288 Posts
Re: G-Lader Intake (sold on expense)

3" O.D. !! I.D. is more like 2.75-2.8" once the job is done because you have to leave some material to clamp the 3" I.D. tube on to. The aluminum is quite soft, so be careful how far you take it, and how you handle it. It's pretty delicate once the machining is done.
Of course the charger has to come apart so your machine work will be nice and straight and so you can clean the Al chips out of before you start it up. Also, the charger bracket will need to be massaged a bit to clear that tubing.

· Registered
3,156 Posts

Quote »
Logically air travelling one way into the g60 can't possibly enter the chamber as efficient as a dual intake.
Even if the 2nd intake (boost return) was a measly 1" wouldn't that allow air flow to enter both sides thus reaching the chamber more equally?

Could be, but it's hard to say. There's still a chance that with a good high flow filter element, all of the air the G60 needs is being fed by only the 1 intake side. If that's the case, then the 2nd intake wouldn't do anything. If the G60 can't use any more air than the 1 intake is providing, there would be no benefit from the 2nd.
But I do see your logic. That's why I tried to do the dual intake like 3 years ago.
I wish I could use a better intake setup.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.