VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
I thought maybe it was to curb black market exports to Russia. Seeing as they have requirements to bring it back after a year to make sure it’s being “used locally”
That's the impression I got, that this is intended to curtail flippers and exports. After all, if there's sleazy money to be made in a hot market, it should be for the dealer, right?

With that said, I wouldn't sign any document with that many typos.

Reactions: Mazda 3s

·
Premium Member
'21 M2C 6MT
3,414 Posts
As mentioned, this is to stop people from exporting them to Russia and China. Realistically, this isn't a dealer issue. If a certain number of cars "float" overseas, MBUSA will come after the dealership and reduce their allocation, among other things, so stores have to be very careful who they sell cars to. There isn't a MB store that wouldn't do their homework on who's buying G wagens and GLS

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
24,581 Posts
As mentioned, this is to stop people from exporting them to Russia and China. Realistically, this isn't a dealer issue. If a certain number of cars "float" overseas, MBUSA will come after the dealership and reduce their allocation, among other things, so stores have to be very careful who they sell cars to. There isn't a MB store that wouldn't do their homework on who's buying G wagens and GLS
Years ago when we were considering a GLK we heard the same thing from the dealer but it was on all diesel cars which were being purchased by middlemen and immediately shipped overseas.

·
Registered
2018 GTI SE 3 Pedals
1,092 Posts
Yeah, back when BMWs didn't suck and we still bought them, we always had to sign something about not selling it to someone exporting it to China. I don't recall having to do that with the previous Audi and I'm certain we didn't with the current Volvo. Of course that would just be sending it home...

·
Registered
492 Posts
While this letter seems desperate, I can't get over the multitude of spelling and grammatical mistakes. Must have been translated from another language or something. I am cautiously optimistic that this is a fake.

·
Registered
26,310 Posts
Wait, what's going on with point 5? Are they requiring you to place a deposit on a car that you didn't order when you pick yours up just so they can say they have a customer deposit for the next order/allocation?
Yes, exactly that. Mercedes limits the G-wagen to sold order only, meaning the dealer cannot get any open allocation to sell to walk-ins. So this dealer has developed a work-around. When the next G-wagen arrives, the customer can either take delivery and trade in a 1-year old G-wagen, or they probably offer to refund the $10k if customer doesn't want the new one. Either way, the dealer ensures it has another G-wagen to flip.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts