VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G11-->G12....crossover drain plug fully drains coolant?

Going to do the G12 flush tomorrow and I'm wondering if the lower rad hose must be unhooked to fully drain all the coolant, or if just the drain plug will do the trick. I unhooked the hose last night and I had a hell of a time tightening the clamp back on, and I'd rather not deal with that again if I don't have to. Also, will the G12 actually decrease water temps, or is G12 simply longer-lasting than G11? Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Re: G11-->G12....crossover drain plug fully drains coolant? (SLCDub)

first things first, there is no drain plug on your radiator. Next, in order to do a g11->g12 flush, u have to empty out the coolant from the afore mentioned drain pipe. next, you need to close it and fill with water repeatedly and flush it etc until you the water coming out is crystal clear. Otherwise, if there is any g11 in the system and it mixes with the g12, it well become a gelatinous goop and clog your cooling jackets within the engine and ur collant lines.
Use this thread i wrote about coolant flushing. granted it is for a g60, but most of the ideas(repeated flushing, drinking and smoking) carry on to your case as well.
HTH http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
-Greg

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: G11-->G12....crossover drain plug fully drains coolant? (Strictly Gravy)

yeah make sure you run the motor enough to get all the out crystal clear. Oh yeah you know best well ONLY use distilled water unless you want the iron block/aluminum head to start (rusting?). Might not be bad if you are cold flushing with a hose, but you dont want that hose water to stay in there.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Re: G11-->G12....crossover drain plug fully drains coolant? (mrkrad)

also make sure to get all the old coolant out of the heater core
easiest way to do that is to pop the hose off and runn and steady flow of water through it, if not that will clog up and come winter you will have no heat. Just doing a flush and letting the car run will not necessarily get everything out of the heater core

1 - 4 of 4 Posts