VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister is giving me a 1989 Golf GL (A2) with a ****ed up 2.0 (NO compression on two of the cylinders). I am planning to buy a G60 from a Corrado from a local junk yard with 108k miles on it (yes, I plan to rebuild supercharger....don't worry). I have heard that it's mostly a drop-in deal on those A2's with Digifant II. (If that's not true PLEASSSSSE tell me.)
What I have heard is that the plumbing for the Corrado's intercooler conflicts with the Golf's fender. I heard that you can modify the fender (somehow?), or seek out Golf G60 intercooler parts. I have little patience to look all over the Internet, so I figured this was the place to look. Does anyone know anything fairly thorough about either or both of these methods? I also read in a thread linked off the FAQ thread about a guy making his own plumbing out of PVC??? I don't know about PVC....but is amateur fabrication a workable solution? Any help offered would be great.
P.S. I'm not a buff on this or any other forums. Chances are, the information I'm looking for is out there somewhere, but like I said, I am getting impatient. Call me stupid if you want, if this is the case, but I would appreciate a link to the thread(s) regarding this issue.
Thanks a bunch in advance.
(Asynchron)

·
Registered
24,968 Posts
Re: G60 into A2 Golf...IC plumbing issues? (asynchron)

Well i had to cut the plastic outta the inner fender and wedged it up in their with a bracket and bungy cord holding it up. Other then that it was no big issue. I just took of the bumper then wedged it. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Re: G60 into A2 Golf...IC plumbing issues? (I Wuz BottlFedG60)

Ive talked to people who have put the Corrado IC in the fender well area...Some have to cut the bottom of the fender off and use big bumpers. But Im not a big fas of that. The G60 Golf IC your probably thinking of is the Rallye golf w/ AC IC that sits inside the engine bay...alot of people tend to know it more than the larger front mount G60 golf IC. I believe RPI or Denon can get those setups...But they run upwards of $800 for everything.
This is the setup on my car. I used mandrel bent U bends from a hot rod shop and cut them to the length/angle I needed. Then I made fittings from steel tube to fit the CO pont on the upper line and the ISV reroute. Cost me about $60 total...But its not the best solution either. It heat soakd really badly.
As for the swap itself...The 89 may or may not plug strait in wiring wise. There is a dabeate on weather or not the 88-89 cars were E2 electrical system. I personally think they are...But Im also too lazy to check for myself
You just gotta find out for sure if it is a CE2 for the swap to be plug and play.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Re: G60 into A2 Golf...IC plumbing issues? (DubG60)

forget the frontmount intercooler and do air/water barrel type.
Looking at doing something similar to this for the Corrado.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: G60 into A2 Golf...IC plumbing issues? (BillyG60)

Hmm. That looks EXTREMELY expensive. I'll be spending most of my money right now on the engine and G60 rebuild. Maybe someday, yes, but I need the cheapest and most basic acceptable solution right now.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

I used a corrado IC when I first did the swap, and I had to cut a significant chunk out of the fender. The IC never really fit right, and performed even worse than it looked. I was going to use the Rallye (top mount) IC but it won't work with a 16V, so I ended up going with this Front Mount IC

Fits great, and works like a champ.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Re: G60 into A2 Golf...IC plumbing issues? (G60RRADO)

Quote, originally posted by G60RRADO »
staggerLee, will you be using a fmic on you rnew eng too?

Yup, gonna use the same one.

·
Banned
5,101 Posts
Re: G60 into A2 Golf...IC plumbing issues? (StaggerLee)

this is on the 91 GTI that im proably going to buy. he used a Saab 900 intercooler with custom piping

·
Registered
882 Posts

I know a guy who relocated the battery and put the stock IC right behind the headlight/grille = no heatsoak! Also short pipe runs and CHEAP!
As for mine, it's in the fender well of my Golf with air holes cut out.

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: G60 into A2 Golf...IC plumbing issues? (StaggerLee)

need to cut that bumper out or move it so it gets a good air flow, looks from the pic that a majority of the i/c is blocked, maybe its just the pic you took.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Re: G60 into A2 Golf...IC plumbing issues? (BillyG60)

Quote, originally posted by BillyG60 »
forget the frontmount intercooler and do air/water barrel type.

I just went that route myself. Works pretty damn well and cleans up the engine bay nicely!
Quote »
Hmm. That looks EXTREMELY expensive

Yeah, it is still going to run you $500+ if you do everything cheaply except the core and the pump. Don't cheap-out on either of those!
I started out with a Probe/MX6 intercooler on the BACK of the radiator (can't fit anything on the front of a Scirocco without cutting or a custom radiator!). I then mounted a low-profile pusher fan on the FRONT of the radiator. It worked fine except that I used a really crappy fan (ask jdwatts) that didn't move enough air when the car was stopped for long periods in traffic. I think it would work fine with a good 1000cfm+ fan. Maybe not 100% ideal for airflow through the IC, but IMHO it definitely would work better than the picture of the Golf above...at least it gets SOME airflow through the radiator!
The setup, including custom mandrel-bent boost tubes, is for sale CHEAP and would work great for a starter kit on a G60 Scirocco or maybe a Rabbit. It only requires a Rallye outlet and may require modification to the top tube since I have an Audi 5k manifold, which puts the TB in a slightly different position than the stock G60 TB...
Neal

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Re: (bitchin'corrado)

But where is it getting air from??? My car had a shield after that pic was take...But it still is way too hot under the hood for the IC to be very effective.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Re: (DubG60)

I sport an large core underhood setup behind the headlight

have no clue why I didnt just go liquid/air

the Rallye style under hood thing is cool an all for the sneaky look, but suffers huge losses when the outside air temp rises above 70.
as far as performance goes the liquid/air coolers rock http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif but StaggerLee has got that front mount and I know it rocks all over any underhood style

·
Registered
24,968 Posts
Re: (G60COUPE)

Im sad to say i use a stock IC in the fender wall. Ill get a FMIC soon as i pay my student loans off

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Re: (I Wuz BottlFedG60)

Here are the Fender IC mount pictures I got from StaggerLee. Hope these help. I think I'm going to attempt this set up or the one of the orange rabbit above.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I actually might be thinkin about trying to put the stock IC in begind the driver side headlight like the rabbit above, and then mounting like a very tiny battery behind it. Or relocating a very small battery to the trunk, or somewhere else.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts