VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my G60 radiator in the mail and the thing looks tiny, I don't know if it's just that I'm used to seeing the factory one mounted in my car or not.
I got a smoking deal on the radiator and then it showed up without the filler neck or the drain plug.
How much fabricating goes into mounting a G60 radiator into an A2 Jetta big bumper? Does anyone have pics of an install?

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
Re: G60 radiator in A2 Jetta (quadmodrophenia)

Here's some pics of my brother's g60 a2. Please no comments about the cleanliness of the engine bay, the car has been sitting for three years. It's been so long since the install, but I don't remember having to customize to fit the g60 radiator and fan. I could be wrong though!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Alright, I got the radiator in and then got slammed with $164 inlcuding shipping for upper and lower G60 radiator hoses from the dealer.
Top hose works out just fine, I wondered where the coolant bubble over flow went and once the hose showed up I was happy.
My big problem that pisses me off is the lower hose the dealer gave me was only about 3/4' long. Looking at the lower radiator outlet and then the location of the thermostat housing, they're completely across the engine bay.
Is there something I'm missing or is the G60 motor set up different for cooling than the 1.8l 8v from an A2?
ETKA pictures would be great.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

It's much harder to install g60 radiator if you have AC, the lines are all sorts of in the way.
Someone please help with the hoses BUMP

·
Registered
10,737 Posts

Quote, originally posted by quadmodrophenia »
It's much harder to install g60 radiator if you have AC, the lines are all sorts of in the way.
Someone please help with the hoses BUMP

You should run the g60 a/c lines. In fact, g60 everything because there is all sorts of crap in the way.

·
Registered
9,664 Posts

Quote, originally posted by quadmodrophenia »

My big problem that pisses me off is the lower hose the dealer gave me was only about 3/4' long. Looking at the lower radiator outlet and then the location of the thermostat housing, they're completely across the engine bay.
Is there something I'm missing or is the G60 motor set up different for cooling than the 1.8l 8v from an A2?
ETKA pictures would be great.

there is a metal pipe if i remember that runs accross to another rubber hose on the thermastat housing. im not sure but i will look today and make sure

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: G60 radiator in A2 Jetta (Boostedcorrados)

Yeah, I already ordered it through the dealer.
After all the hastle of getting the g60 radiator into my jetta I might sell it and buy a B3 passat

·
Banned
1,053 Posts

So your telling us that the hoses dont fit because you only have the g60 rad in and the stock 8v motor????

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: G60 radiator in A2 Jetta (Scrubby)

That's pretty much what the whole post is about.
I was planning on doing a G60 swap this summer and then my radiator completely fell apart, so why spend the money on a factory radiator that's getting tossed once I do the G60 swap?
Now that I've got it pretty much taken care of I've found a B3 that will work out a lot better with a family so after all of the trouble I'm moving on to something else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts