VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
G60 Digifunk Monkey Spunk FAQ FYI

Hey everybody.... I'd like to get some help for an FYI, FAQ my G60 runs like digifunk, Q&A write up.
I didn't see this in the FAQ... maybe I missed it?
I'll bet there is some info that could come from the CCA site... haven't looked in awhile.
We get a ton of phone calls from G60 owners all over the world... every day because their G60 cars run poorly.. and to be honest it is almost always something very basic. If you haven't tried it, it is pretty hard to diagnose a poor running car over the phone. Kind of like calling the doctor for a examination over the phone and expecting a cure and good heath.
So here is a start please help.
I will edit this top post and add to it as it grows.
My plan is to email this to guys when they have G60 running problems.
Lets come up with some questions from this forum and give the answers.
Thanks in advance for all of your combined knowledge and contributions.
Q: So my car goes full pig fat rich at at 3,4 or 5k rpm and looses all its power or goes completely flat on power.
A: Well you need to start with the basics. Good tune up parts, Bosch W6DPO plugs good Bosch cap and rotor, plug wires, fuel filter, correct timing procedure, vac line replacement not just check them, ecu vac line 1M, replace ground wires and wires for the battery, alternator, starer and ecu...ect after all these cars are near 14 years old. Check for boost leaks they can cause the funk mode. Run the correct Bosch O2 sensor, check or replace your knock sensor, if the wire to it is rubbed through replace it. Did you check to see if your cam timing slipped? Replace the #30 ecu power control relay.
Q: So my car goes full dust fart'n lean at at 3,4 or 5k rpm and looses all its power or goes completely flat on power. The plugs are bright white and it pings.
Q: What is the correct ignition timing procedure for my G60?
Q: How do I check my cam timing?
A:???

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: G60 Digifunk Monkey Spunk FAQ FYI (JBETZ)

ok, no one cares about this... thats cool http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,007 Posts

I see alot of these old corrados that are having problems that are
tune up related, there is more to a tune up then plugs cap and rotor
if they are committed to making there G60 a good running car then they need to step up and get dirty . go threw the whole engine bay
and fix th little stuff that adds up. broken wires leaky hoses new
sensors. then i would refer them to this.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=697670

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Re: G60 Digifunk Monkey Spunk FAQ FYI (REPOMAN)

It sounds like most people, including myself, need to get into the Bently a little more often.
I do have an ignition timing trick that id like to share, would this be a good thread to present it??? I dont want flames!!
It basicly a vernier(is that the right word?) for the distributer, pretty simple really.

Modified by dubbernutter at 11:14 PM 7-11-2004

·
Registered
481 Posts
Re: G60 Digifunk Monkey Spunk FAQ FYI (dubbernutter)

i think i'm lucky that my father has been a mechanic for the last 30 years but had never touch a vw till i got my corrado. but he gave me good advice buy the book, learn what the major thing do and don't do and go from there. by car only has 40k but it has sat for almost 3 years. so long that the oil filter rotted. i went and replaced everything. cap, rotor, wires, plugs, filters, fluids, sent the injectors out to be cleaned and tested. it runs better now then when i bought it. i am not the most know it all person but if i see a question that i could answer i chime in with my 2 cents. but for now my answer to everything would be to try and figure it out on your own first and then if you can't ask someone. but i think it is more rewarding for yourself to have a prob, figure it out and fix it on your own and then stand back and look at your car runnin right and go damn i'm good. well i do hope this thread works out cause god knows i've could of used it a few times.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote, originally posted by dubbernutter »
It sounds like most people, including myself, need to get into the Bently a little more often.
I do have an ignition timing trick that id like to share, would this be a good thread to present it??? I dont want flames!!
It basicly a vernier(is that the right word?) for the distributer, pretty simple really.

Oh man please share.
I had hoped that this would be specifically for the tricks to making these cars run right.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,107 Posts

Quote, originally posted by dubbernutter »

FYI: A vernier scale is just a way of marking an instrument to make very small increments visible to the human eye. Guess the name of the guy who invented it.... Basically, it involves using the smallest increment used on the instument itself and comparing it to the vernier scale to get an even smaller incementation. Example: a caliper generally has it's smallest scale graduated every .025"... The Vernier scale next to it is graduated every .024" which gives you a .001" variation to compare. Counting the number of .024" that are off mark actually gives you the number of .001" after the last .025" mark measured.
Well, I guess that was off topic but educationnal!!!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Re: G60 Digifunk Monkey Spunk FAQ FYI (bbmcorrado)

One other thing to make sure that Im not wure if it was mentioned, but I believe the 1 meter long hose has to go into the correct side of the mannifold.

Also there are some awsome posts with correct timing procedures here that you may want to cut and past on a generic email to send out.
I have an idea. On your message when your customers call you, have it say..." Press 8 to hear the the web link to find out why your g60 runs like cra p..
Awsome idea to get this all this info in one place. Maybe you can print in on the back of all your invoices so all your customers get a copy whenever they buy anything from you. You can tell them," just look on the back of your reciept and if that doesnt do it, call me and ill sell you the parts to fix it.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Re: G60 Digifunk Monkey Spunk FAQ FYI (mrkrad)

I think a FAQ should be precluded with a section titled
"So you just bought a G60 Corrado, this is what you do first."
1. Change/test battery
2. Change/test alternator or voltage regulator
3. Replace battery wires with thick ones. Clean up connections.
4. Clean up all ECU grounds. Relocate that one ground to the TB.
5. Replace all vacuum hoses. ECU hose is of a critical 1 meter length.
6. Replace blue coolant temp sensor. (it's cheap) If gauge is not working, replace black sensor too.
7. Test throttle switches with a multimeter.
8. Test resistence of the injectors and harness.
9. Return ignition time to STOCK specs for atleast 6 months. The character of the G60 changes everyday and you need to be familiar with it before you decide to melt a piston (happens to the best of us.)
Besides, it will only be running for 3 months during this time.
10. Do not even look at performance parts for 8 months.
11. Invest in a good air filter!
12. Tighten all IC hose connections.
13. Install an air fuel gauge Learn the difference between open and closed loop.
14. Clean TB and ISV with carb cleaner (or whatever works for you)
15. Replace the O-ring on the idle adjustment screw. Dont be afraid to remove the screw and get a good look at it.
16. Fix all broken wires from the O2 sensor all the way past the first connection/harness. Ensure the O2 sensor ground wire is clean and strong.

Something like that and then more expensive items can be tracked down in the FAQ. Like if a/f gauge isn't cycling - replace O2 sensor.
Feel free to add more to the list.

Modified by LooseNut at 10:09 AM 8-24-2007

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: G60 Digifunk Monkey Spunk FAQ FYI (LooseNut)

That is one good list of basics!
Now I can cut and paste this to the 50 people per week that call us and email us when there cars are running funky.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: G60 Digifunk Monkey Spunk FAQ FYI (E60)

Can someone please get the ignition timing procedure in here. I know it is floating around out there somewhere.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts

Stolen from the zip.doc
btw grad = degree's
Ignition timing:
Engine at normal operating temperature, plug disconnected from coolant temperature sensor, engine speed 2000...2500 1/min, measure ignition timing (using timing light (strobe) TDC sensor).
Set value: 4...8 Grad before TDC
If necessary, adjust ignition timing by turning the ignition distributor.
Set value for setting:
5...7 Grad before TDC
Reconnect plug to the coolant temperature sensor, accelerate three times, check idle setting.

Ignition-timing advance:
Measure ignition timing with engine speed n = 2500 1/min and coolant temperature sensor disconnected, and note down value. Reconnect the temperature sensor and measure the ignition timing again at n = 2500 1/min. The difference between the two values is the ignition-timing advance.
Set value: 20...30 Grad
If no advance is measured, either a lead to the coolant temperature sensor is open-circuited, or the control unit is defective.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: G60 Digifunk Monkey Spunk FAQ FYI (JustMike)

Thanks, you guys have been a great help!

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Here are some belt sizes, add more if you know the sizes.
Thanks
Serp Belt
W A/C Stock Conti 6PK 1755
68mm Conti 6PK 1743
63mm Flennor 6PK 1738
58mm Conti 6PK 1733 (works with 53mm SC & Tensioner cap)
53mm Conti 6PK 1715
50mm Conti 6PK 1715
N A/C Stock Gates K060650
68mm Conti 6PK 1642
58mm Conti 6PK 1623 (also use with 50-53 mm & tensioner cap)
57mm Gates K060790 / 6PK2005
53mm Gates K060623
50mm Gates K060623
16V kit
50-53 mm No AC Conti 6PK1980
68 mm No AC Gates K060785
65 mm With AC 88-1/16” (2235mm) nominal 6PK2236
V-Belt Stock Conti AVX 10+735
No A/C Conti AVX 10+655

No Charger
W/AC 6PK1505 Goodyear #4060592
No AC 6PK1255 Dayco #5060495 Would Work Better With Shorter Belt