VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of an engine swap and am debating between these 3 engines. so what should I do and WHY. I am looking for reliability and some power. in an 86 Jetta.
Mike
edit: not limited to just these engines, 1.8t, 8v... are options also. I am also thinking about adding a syncro setup so my Jetta will weigh alot more.
ok, so the syncro is about $5000 more then I was looking at spending

[Modified by vedubya, 7:30 PM 8-4-2002]

[Modified by vedubya, 10:03 PM 8-6-2002]

·
Registered
12,836 Posts
Re: G60, VR6, or 16V, advantages/disadvantages (vedubya)

My vote goes for the 2.1L 8V. I read in august's PVW of a guy that had a 2.1L 8v he was getting 160bhp and 175ft/lbs of torque!!! With that you get to save thousands over doing a complete engine swap. I really dont think 16V's and G60's are worth it, they dont provide tons of performance gain over a well tuned 8v. But if your dead set aginst an 8v setup my vote would go for the VR6, its fastest hands down aginst any of those engines....

·
Registered
42,999 Posts

i voted for the 16v only cause i dotn ahve experience with either of the other 2 in a mk2. the g60 as everyone knows isnt too reliable...and i dunno bout the vr6 although ive heard of it having headgasket problems (?) not too sure about that one though...and a well tuned and modded 16v could keep up with the other two if they were stock or mildly tuned...and since your going for reliabilty and "some power" 16v wins IMO

·
Registered
2006 P+ A4 3.2 Avant, 2011 C'Dale Bad Boy, 2014 C'Dale Carbon Synapse, 2019 P+ Q5
41,531 Posts

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Re: G60, VR6, or 16V, advantages/disadvantages (NightFlyerGTI)

16v all the way!!!! But the one that will give you the most power for the least price is the G60...but it's also the one that is the most likely to blow up first

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: G60, VR6, or 16V, advantages/disadvantages (16v)

quote:[HR][/HR]

[HR][/HR]​
ha, I missed the horse at first. very funny and I know this has been covered about a million times.
Mike

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: G60, VR6, or 16V, advantages/disadvantages (eurozex)

quote:[HR][/HR]My vote goes for the 2.1L 8V. I read in august's PVW of a guy that had a 2.1L 8v he was getting 160bhp and 175ft/lbs of torque!!![HR][/HR]​
turbo? I must say I love my 8V and I could build it for less then I would spend on a new engine.
Mike

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Re: G60, VR6, or 16V, advantages/disadvantages (Rob Vila)

Go for the G60 man.
Reliability is not as much an issue as most people would believe. The G lader will only blow up on you, if you neglect it or push it beyond its limits. If you maintain it, and take the time to learn about what will work and what won't, it will treat you lovely. I would argue that anyone who thinks a G60 isn't reliable has never owned one, and if they have it was probably abused by the PO. If you do the G60 swap, make sure you get the charger inspected and rebuilt if necessary....hangin out in the G60 forum would help alot

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Re: G60, VR6, or 16V, advantages/disadvantages ('Hassan')

as a vr6 owner, I would say that is the only route to go . . . but, I drove a pulley'd G60 over the weekend and I liked it . . . alot. To make any hp/torque out of an 8v NA or a 16v NA, you will spend close to the same amount to build a stock VR6/G60 swap . . .

·
Registered
7,865 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]My vote goes for the 2.1L 8V. I read in august's PVW of a guy that had a 2.1L 8v he was getting 160bhp and 175ft/lbs of torque!!! With that you get to save thousands over doing a complete engine swap. I really dont think 16V's and G60's are worth it, they dont provide tons of performance gain over a well tuned 8v. But if your dead set aginst an 8v setup my vote would go for the VR6, its fastest hands down aginst any of those engines....[HR][/HR]​
1. I haven't seen the PVW yet, is this 2.1 8V a 2.0 bottom end with an 8V head, or is it a cross flow engine? If it is the cross flow that is VWs worst engine made.
2. For the G60s the engine blocks are bullet proof, its just the charger that is unreliable. All a G60 engine is is a 1.8 that was in the GTIs made to handle boost that makes a little over 150 HP from the factory. So that guy you're talking about in PVW did work on his engine for nothing cause he could of used a G60 engine and could of had a # of chargers to put in his car and would be making around the 200 hp mark. All I did to mine was just put a turbo kit from ATP and I'm shooting for 240 HP when I dyno it soon. It is a very good low end torque engine.
3. 16Vs are definatly a fun engine. You really don't see their performance until the higher RPMs. But pretty much like most vw engines once something goes its a chain reaction on the 16Vs. I think they are the most finicky engine from VW.
4. As for the VRs the sky is the limit! Its just the weight factor people mention, B.S. When you have a VR6 in an A2 it really doesn't matter. Yes they handle fine, and damn fun to drive.
5. Who cares if people tell you not to put in a 1.8T because everyone else is doing it. That engine is one of the most reliable engines out there now, and you only need the basics to make it fast. ( Chip, intake, DP...etc) The only thing that sucks is its hard to find one.
Basically its up to you what you want. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif and good luck

[Modified by CorradoG60, 1:56 PM 8-5-2002]

·
Banned
5,589 Posts
Re: G60, VR6, or 16V, advantages/disadvantages (CorradoG60)

This is going to turn into a popularity contest real quick-like. Flame war is soon to follow. The best advice I can give you(and the best you will hear in this situation) is go out and drive some cars. It would be a total waste to do a swap having never driven a car set up the same way(or close), just to find out that it's not what you wanted or expected.

[Modified by Phobia16V, 9:06 PM 8-5-2002]

·
Registered
136 Posts
Re: G60, VR6, or 16V, advantages/disadvantages (Phobia16V)

Good idea, Phobia! Make sure your aware of the advantages of each engine. I have heard a lot of good things about what can be done w/ an 8v. I also know it will probably be alot more easy to find parts and people who will help w/ a VR6 swap. This seems to be the most common and worthwhile conversions for a2 cars. of course, you may need to look into coilovers or upgraded suspension. Engine swaps are big cause - effect money vacumes. Be SURE you want to do this before you spend!
Zaf'

·
Registered
552 Posts
Re: G60, VR6, or 16V, advantages/disadvantages (Zaffod)

Talk to people who auto-x, rally and club race these cars and see what engines they run with what mods. These engines will take a beating, so reliability is key. Plus they're usually built up under a relatively tight budget, so they could likely offer some really good advice.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Re: G60, VR6, or 16V, advantages/disadvantages (primogti)

My 8v auto 88' Jetta is goin and fast... bottom end is eff'd up and well i was kinda thinkin about just swappin in a 16v where my old 8v was... if possible that is. would that blow my tranny and rear end? or would it run the same? I have to much into the car to trade it and i need a new engine nomatter what. Unfortunately its an auto. Please reply or im me on aim/aol sn: JWJET01
Bump
JW

·
Registered
39 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]My vote goes for the 2.1L 8V. I read in august's PVW of a guy that had a 2.1L 8v he was getting 160bhp and 175ft/lbs of torque!!! With that you get to save thousands over doing a complete engine swap. I really dont think 16V's and G60's are worth it, they dont provide tons of performance gain over a well tuned 8v. But if your dead set aginst an 8v setup my vote would go for the VR6, its fastest hands down aginst any of those engines....[HR][/HR]​

How can you say that? How much do you want to spend on a non forced car? A 2.1 will cost alot to do! You have to change just about everything to get it to that. A friend of mine had a 1.9 8v and that had 140bhp and that was alot of money for not alot of engine.
A G60 is loads better than a non-forced car! You might spend a bit on the swap but at the end of the day with a few mods. Cam, Pulley, Chip & Exhuast you can get 200bhp with out blowing loads of $$$ on a non-forced engine. With the G60 they will take alot of stick! I know this for a fact! They are built so well. Why else would VW Motorsport put such small pulleys on theres? Also reqular oil changes will help to stop the charger from going early! Don't be affraid of the G60 its a awesome lump for the money! So easy to tune and is still great as a daily driver.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.