VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if the 1990 G60 Corrado is a little less reliable or if it has more problems then the following G60s on the average. I was just wondering because the '90 G60 is VW's first Corrado and I was thinking maybe they learned from some of their mistakes and eliminated some problems in the following models. I know of some situations like this; the Pontiac Fiero for example.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Re: G60s (Agile)

i thought the first c in the us came in late 89?...i might be wrong but i think i read that somewhere...but i have a 90,....and its a problem...lol

·
Registered
11,446 Posts

My G60 went 150,xxx miles on the original charger with no real problems except heater-core, and the usual wear and tear(belts/brakes/etc)..........luck I guess!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Re: G60s (Vamped)

1990 G60 here, charger was replaced somewhere around 112K miles before I got her. Since I bought her; CV joints, strut bushings, control arm bushings, oil pressure switches, various electrical demons I have had to exorcise, and 1 ignition switch. Not to mention the obvious tune-up and regualr wear and tear items. Brake pads, spark plugs, cap, rotor, battery, tires, etc....
Hmmm...most of the problems aside from the electrical gremils are standard wear items. Never really noticed that before.....

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Re: G60s (AZVento)

Mine is a 7/89 build date. Its got 142,000 miles, original unrebuilt supercharger, babied all its life. Only problems with it are the usual sunroof/spoiler problems. Few other minor issues, but overall a very reliable car. All electronics are OK, and the car has never been modified.

·
Registered
18,889 Posts
Re: G60s (2manyprojects)

Quote, originally posted by 2manyprojects »
Mine is a 7/89 build date. Its got 142,000 miles, original unrebuilt supercharger, babied all its life. Only problems with it are the usual sunroof/spoiler problems. Few other minor issues, but overall a very reliable car. All electronics are OK, and the car has never been modified.

Quote, originally posted by Vamped »
My G60 went 150,xxx miles on the original charger with no real problems except heater-core, and the usual wear and tear(belts/brakes/etc)..........luck I guess!

Proves thats its all about how one takes care of their Corrado.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Re: G60s (KrazeeKorrado13)

I have 177K on the odometer as we speak. I have though replaced the G60, it went south last year..... but other then that it was the original (acording to the PO). http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Re: G60s (TexasCorradoG60)

Reliability wise, there are absolutely no significant differences between the different years of g60.
Well, that might be a bit too strong of a statement. Later cars have later generation chargers, which, in theory, might hold up better.
But, overall, the MOST important thing to consider is the condition of individual cars, not which year they are from. I'd take a well maintained 1990 over a questionable 1991 or 1992 any day of the week, even if the 1990's price was higher.
-Nate

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Re: G60s (SaabFan)

yeh, when buying a Corrado i now see you want one stock, and from an older person who probably did not beat on it all the time...
and as to the comment about the fiero, i assume you're talking abotu them catching on fire? well my uncles newer grand am actually caught on fire not too long ago, so i don't think they ever really fixed the problem...

·
Registered
266 Posts

I have a stock 1990 G60 with 131K on it. It has been pretty good, but like others have said ...Stock...and Not beat on!
This is the difference in these cars I feel. Yeah, I changed the heater core and the spoiler doesnt work and the idle is jumpy when it wants to.
The biggest problem with these cars is.....the people who work on them sometimes do not know what they are doing! I feel that this a a complex car and you can't just turn a few screws and 'see if that helps'. I have tried to do all the service on my car just to keep people away from it! ( that is why I have the Tacoma. I am not rushed to fix the Corrado.)
Do I reccomend a G60 to people ? YES! I think it is a great motor and fun to drive. Just make sure of what you are buying.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Re: G60s (90GreenG60)

Quote, originally posted by 90GreenG60 »
G60s can be very reliable cars with the proper care and maintenance.

x2. I drove my g60 on a daily basis for 1.5 years (~15k miles) and spent somewhere in the neightborhood of $800 on maint. which included a set of tires, a battery, oil changes, etc. I had your basic stage 4 kit(65mm pulley) on an unrebuilt charger
. It was putting out 16psi before I totaled it

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Re: G60s (KrazeeKorrado13)

Quote, originally posted by KrazeeKorrado13 »
Proves thats its all about how one takes care of their Corrado.

That's the nub of it. If you're lucky enough to get a Corrado, be it a G60 or VR6, that's been properly maintained over it's life it's going to be a good reliable car with few problems. Many Corrado's weren't blessed with kind gentle owners, and those are the one's that give the car a bad name. Personally I wouldn't have bought a Corrado if I wanted a "reliable" car. If that was the case I'd have bought a Civic or a Corolla. My C had a couple bad PO's (I think the original owner was the worst towards the end) but it's slowly coming back into it's own. One or two final electrical issues to fix and I should really only have to put gas and oil into the car.

·
Registered
854 Posts
all i ever hear is bad things about corrados. that's why everyone should take the g60 engine and drop it in a rabbit, and swap a 20v in the corrado.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts

My '90 has a build date of 8/89.
I pulled the stock charger off at 182K miles just because I figured it could go at any time. The timing belt literally fell apart when I touched it. It was holding itself together with only a couple of it's cords. I then sent the charger to BBM and they said it looked like it was in great condition, but should definitely be rebuilt (I was getting a lot of blowby by then).
As far as the other stuff, my spoiler has always worked. The slide function of the sunroof didn't work when I got it, but that was an easy fix. I never had a problem with my heater core, but I blew my headgasket at about 200k miles. Oh, and it also had the typical 2nd gear syncro problem when I got it.
As of now it's reliable, but I'm having trouble with it running extremely rich and getting bad fuel mileage. Starts up every time though and everything works, so I can't complain all that much.
So, basically it sounds like the 90's were good, but VW started making more mistakes later. Goes to show 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Re: G60s (Cheshire_Cat)

Quote, originally posted by Cheshire_Cat »
My '90 has a build date of 8/89.
I pulled the stock charger off at 182K miles just because I figured it could go at any time. The timing belt literally fell apart when I touched it. It was holding itself together with only a couple of it's cords. I then sent the charger to BBM and they said it looked like it was in great condition, but should definitely be rebuilt (I was getting a lot of blowby by then).
As far as the other stuff, my spoiler has always worked. The slide function of the sunroof didn't work when I got it, but that was an easy fix. I never had a problem with my heater core, but I blew my headgasket at about 200k miles. Oh, and it also had the typical 2nd gear syncro problem when I got it.
As of now it's reliable, but I'm having trouble with it running extremely rich and getting bad fuel mileage. Starts up every time though and everything works, so I can't complain all that much.
So, basically it sounds like the 90's were good, but VW started making more mistakes later. Goes to show 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

Mine was running very rich and gas mileage was bad too. Changed o2 sensor; sensor was good but a wire was broken. Replaced it anyway since i had a new one. Runs MUCH better. Now....for the jumping idle problem I have....

·
Registered
6,631 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Agile »
I am wondering if the 1990 G60 Corrado is a little less reliable or if it has more problems then the following G60s on the average. I was just wondering because the '90 G60 is VW's first Corrado and I was thinking maybe they learned from some of their mistakes and eliminated some problems in the following models. I know of some situations like this; the Pontiac Fiero for example.

corrados have been on the production line since 1988. there are some (few) with an actual 1988 model year, but most people say 1989 is the first year of production. this is europe of course.
like any car, its all about how you take care of it. i know what you are hinting at here with the fiero thing.. and no.. this doesn't really apply to corrados.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts