VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting my head ported and polished, and throwing in some cams (I'm not sure if I want to do 256 or 268 yet) and valve springs. Also, I'm planning on doing a dry NOS setup. What kind of gains should I expect from all this (without spraying), and would I need a custom mapped chip to do all this? Also, how much should I expect to pay for the P&P? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Re: Gains from port & polish, cams? (mk4vr6)

Stage II Port & Polish, 15-25 hp $900 TracRacing
DSR 256 Cams / GIAC chip 24 hp, $700 DynoSpotRacing
CatCams 268 / TTHD springs/ GIAC chip 25-30 hp, $750 TracRacing
the look on other dirvers faces as they hear you go by, Priceless TracRacing
TRT

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Re: Gains from port & polish, cams? (tatge)

I'm guessing that something like a port and polish is an extremely subjective effect depending on present modifications... if you've got a free flowing exhaust the port and polish will allow a greater amount of air thru other wise it'll get bottlenecked ... would it be a correct thought to say that a port and polish allows a percentage increase of hp/torque? Because if you're using FI then you're going to be able to push a greater volume of air thru so you'll get better results, or is there a static increase that is made when you get a port and polish on ... 25hp whether you've got headers, FI, intake or pea shooter economy exhaust?

·
Banned
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for the help everybody.. I just checked out TrackRacing's website and I think I'll be getting a set of their CAT 268 cams and a GIAC chip. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
988 Posts

I have done a lot of research on this matter.
and have found that a P&P doesn't produce that great of gains with the stock size valves. You need to upgrade the valve size to truly exploit the benifits of a P&P
Too bad those BVH cost so damn much!

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Re: Gains from port & polish, cams? (CorradoCam)

Cam, SP P&P heads use stock valves and flow really well, Bill has tons & tons of flow bench hours & research with these. A SP head was flow benched against a BVH and actually came out on top. Bill also has his own custom stainless valves that are stock mm and flow even more, works out quite well if you have plans to stay NA. Great performance for the way less....

Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.