VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost the original photos for this mod, so here is another example from user "richbking".

1. Go to RadioShack and buy a SPST "Soft-Touch" Momentary switch part number 275-1566A
2. Remove the console in front of the shifter.
3. Remove the blank switch that you want to use as a button. It just pops out from behind.
4. You'll notice that the switch is slightly too large to fit into the blank switch. Carefully sand two sides of the switch until it fits into the blank. It doesn't need to be a tight fit and probably better if it isn't. Once you get the SPST switch to fit, you have to glue (super glue) the switch into the blank so that the top of the button is just touching the underside of the blank. Be careful not to get any glue on the button. Thankfully Murphy's law didn't come into play for me.
5. Once the glue is dry, the cap of the blank switch has to be removed. I used a Dremel to cut it off. After you have the top cut off, you can see that the switch now has a nice housing that will clip back into the console, but don't snap it into the console yet.
6. Now you have to remove the ribs on the underside of the blank cap so that the switch can be depressed. I did this also with the Dremel and a cut-off wheel.
7. Now back to the switch, two of the four sides of the housing that is glued to the switch need to be cut off. The sides that need to be cut off are the sides that didn't get glued to the SPST switch. These also need to be removed so that the switch can be depressed. I actually used the two sides that I cut off and glued them to the side of the switch to make it a little more robust.
8. Once all this is dry, then the switch can be snapped into the console. Here are a couple of pics of the underside of the switch. You can see what I had to cut off compared to the blank next to it.

9. The final step is to glue the cap onto the switch. Don't forget to roughen up the top of the switch to allow for the glue to stick. This is the most difficult part because you can't see if you put too much glue on the switch after the cap is on.

Thankfully everything turned out great. Hopefully this will help.
Rich

Modified by FUZE at 11:45 AM 12-16-2006

·
Registered
475 Posts
AWESOME, all i have to say. nice to see you love your dub that you would go to those lenghts.... me, i just keep my garage door opener on the center console. But two thumbs up for this!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Re: Garage Door Opener Remote Control Switch D.I.Y. (FUZE)

Nice write-up if you don't want to spend loads of money on a home-link visor http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Also, a blank space next to the ESP could've been a good and easy place for the button

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Garage Door Opener Remote Control Switch D.I.Y. (Keden)

Quote, originally posted by Keden »
Also, a blank space next to the ESP could've been a good and easy place for the button

True, but it wouldn't look OEM. Now if someone could modify a ESP "type" button or use a spare one, that would be slick...

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Great alternative to incorporate your existing garage opener to your car in an inexpensive and creative way. Nice job!

As others have said, would building it into one of the unused buttons next to the ESP be possible?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Re: (svander)

Quote, originally posted by svander »
As others have said, would building it into one of the unused buttons next to the ESP be possible?

hmm, a tire pressure monitor button could work really well there
if you can get it to work for the remote
how cool would that be?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts

Quote, originally posted by FUZE »
True, but it wouldn't look OEM. Now if someone could modify a ESP "type" button or use a spare one, that would be slick...

well, home-link visor is the only true OEM solution I see here
it's good that the button is out of site under the dash, plus, if you don't want to reach for it, you can always kick it with your leg

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote, originally posted by svander »

Definitely http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
it's good that the button is out of site under the dash, plus, if you don't want to reach for it, you can always kick it with your leg

lol

Modified by FUZE at 10:32 PM 7-2-2006

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Re: (Keden)

hmm, a tire pressure monitor button could work really well there
if you can get it to work for the remote

That's the button I'm talking about next to the ESP, and it shouldn't be hard to get it as the 07 GTIs are supposed to come with a TPM I think.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, that would totally work. It would be awesome if you could write your own text too...now that's wishful thinking.

·
Registered
938 Posts
A+ man thats a awesome idea for a switch and i love how its out of site. to bad i cant get another car in my garage lol

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Re: (wunderman4)

Quote, originally posted by wunderman4 »
A+ man thats a awesome idea for a switch and i love how its out of site. to bad i cant get another car in my garage lol

well...what you could do...
go to a vinyl shop, have them print out a small square with what ever word you wanted on it..in the proper font and size
stick the vinyl on the button before instalation, carefully remove the letters of the word
and in a few sprays of krylon flat white your good to go

·
Registered
122 Posts

for a moment there i was thinking you were going to put it on the dead pedal!! that would be the SICKEST! Now i want a garage so i can make that mod.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Garage Door Opener Remote Control Switch D.I.Y. (exS4)

Quote, originally posted by exS4 »
Next switch to install... NAWZ!

lol

·
Registered
803 Posts

I dont know how easy or hard this would be to do, but Ill see tomorrow if its possible to place the SPST button under one of the blank spaces next to the ESP button. It would be similar to stealthing an optical drive on a PC. I would imagine that you would simply have to cut off/modify the tabs from the blank button next to the ESP button that hold it into the whole piece of the cigarette lighter thing in. From there Im sure you can make a support to hold the SPST button in place while having the blank button glued on top. I would also imagine that you would have to file down the top of the SPST button down a little bit to make a flat surface to which the blank button can bond to. If it does in fact work, I will get a vinyl cut out with the same logo that the homelink visors have, stick it on top of the blank button, spray a few layers of paint and take the vinyl off. Also, you could mount and maybe even velcro the garage door opener itself to underside of the front plastic piece of the engine bay, right above the radiator/intercooler, to make it more out of the way, then you could route the wire behind/underneath the headlight and around the engine bay into the cabin.
Ill give this a shot tomorrow, and let you guys know.
^^ I know I have a ****load of run-on sentences, but I just typed it out as if I were talking to someone.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, for sure...post pics too http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 64 Posts