• Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

2701 - 2720 of 2774 Posts

·
Registered
26,133 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Just ordered two of them to go pick up at the Menard's this afternoon. Currently storing the seasonal sets on dollies and they're eating up an entire corner of the garage. I'll throw some aftermarket lag screws in em and call it a day.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Just ordered two of them to go pick up at the Menard's this afternoon. Currently storing the seasonal sets on dollies and they're eating up an entire corner of the garage. I'll throw some aftermarket lag screws in em and call it a day.
Shouldn't even need to use different lag screws, the ones that come with the HyLoft are plenty fine - I do remember people complaining about the lag screws for the Tire Rack unit though.

·
Registered
26,133 Posts
They seem janky at first but then when you tighten everything up they become rock solid. I'm sure I could do pull ups on them.
yeah this lines up with the reviews I read as well... they come in the box pretty loose, so can def see if someone doesnt think to tighten everything up they would seem very unstable compared to the weight they are meant to hold.

·
12,745 Posts
Added second lift this weekend to gain a parking space for the new (to me) Z4 coupe.

How tall is your garage ceiling? Doesn't look like the usual 11ft+ that a lot of people have when they put a 4 post in :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
How tall is your garage ceiling? Doesn't look like the usual 11ft+ that a lot of people have when they put a 4 post in :thumbup::thumbup:
Just measured. 10'-8". Good thing the Z4 and Mx-5 aren't too tall.

·
Premium Member
Bunch of Crappy VWs
3,545 Posts
Build your own out of Unistrut and rigid steel conduit. I built a 10' wide one which holds 12 (225 and 235) wheels/tires. I don't have any good photos of it besides what's showing here.
Any chance you could snap a couple photos, I'm curious how you approached this?

I am in the process of planning a way to store my spare wheels, I'm debating just "storing" them vs "showing" them....
In for the (possible) pictures. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Wound up hanging only one set of tires. Started laying out the second rack and realized that it would take up more space on the wall than if I just left them stacked on the dolly in the corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Learning New Things Every Day.
'12 Earth F**ker '12 A4q '18 Q3
17,414 Posts

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Was lookin at lights today at Menards (similar to HD for those outside the midwest). These are $75 a piece, diamond tread, 50k hour life, 10,000 lumen LEDs. Can daisy chain up to 6 together:

Anyone familiar with that brand? Couldn't seem to find anything on the box or online indicating they could be flush mounted to the ceiling.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Woah, hold on a second! Is that a detached garage (with some functional space above) or is this an attached garage end view of your house?

Either way, that's a heck of a space. :beer: :beer:

And what's in the middle entryway? Is that open to the garage or is it some kind of mudroom & stairway to the second floor?

2701 - 2720 of 2774 Posts