VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
3161 - 3180 of 3300 Posts

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Working with the city for my planned detached workshop. Looking at something around 26'x26' to 30'x30' and that can fit a full size 2 post lift(12ft tall). Outside I don't want it to look like a shop so I would like to hide some of the interior height inside. Where do you guys look for plans, where can I try make my own plans or who can I work with?

I blame this thread.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
28,199 Posts
Working with the city for my planned detached workshop. Looking at something around 26'x26' to 30'x30' and that can fit a full size 2 post lift(12ft tall). Outside I don't want it to look like a shop so I would like to hide some of the interior height inside. Where do you guys look for plans, where can I try make my own plans or who can I work with?

I blame this thread.
For me, I worked with an architect and an engineer. For the town I live in, it's more than just the dimensions of the garage. Things like calculating water drainage/run off was a HUGE thing for me. I also had height restrictions I had to deal with--the township prohibited detached garages from being a certain height to limit the possibility of a second floor living area. If you're planning to go it alone, this type of thing is good to know.

If you can find plans online, that might solve one problem, but you may still need to work with an engineer for the necessary calculations.

I'm still recovering from the PTSD I had from my garage build.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
For me, I worked with an architect and an engineer. For the town I live in, it's more than just the dimensions of the garage. Things like calculating water drainage/run off was a HUGE thing for me. I also had height restrictions I had to deal with--the township prohibited detached garages from being a certain height to limit the possibility of a second floor living area. If you're planning to go it alone, this type of thing is good to know.

If you can find plans online, that might solve one problem, but you may still need to work with an engineer for the necessary calculations.

Thanks. I have a structural engineer coming over my house for other reasons soon, will try to talk to him and possibly start working with him. Waiting for some answers from the city also, so far only restriction is how far I should be from MSD line. Most of the work would be contracted out but I want to have a hand in the building, atleast a small part of it.

·
Registered
A chili pepper and a little gator.
7,176 Posts

I blame this thread.
I wouldn't look or make your own plans, there's a lot to it (code, local regs/concerns, zoning, etc.) and it's worth it to have a local architect draw it for you. Shouldn't be too expensive, a good architect can do a building like that in their sleep. As far as hiding interior height, yes, just tell the architect what you want to do, send them a drawing of the lift. I've seen some cool stuff where the lift height comes out of a steep roof with scissor trusses or rafters, such that it looks like a small regular garage on the outside but is a full workshop on the inside.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
2nd

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
We are getting budgetary prices for a similar project. During the research process, I liked this site: Garage Plans and Garage Blue Prints from The Garage Plan Shop

And there's a little learning curve, but I also like: https://floorplanner.com/

Here's "version 1" of what the architect came up with. One bay with a 12' ceiling (and storage above) and the other with a 10' ceiling that has walkable space above.

However, after playing around with layouts, we realized the lift with 12' ceiling needs to be on the right, with stair entry on the left. So here's what I came up with. And I have another version with a storage mezzanine above the workbench area (accessed by the stairs landing). It also supports pulling the toolboxes / workbench closer to the car and using the space behind for deep storage.

·
Registered
28,199 Posts
Thanks. I have a structural engineer coming over my house for other reasons soon, will try to talk to him and possibly start working with him. Waiting for some answers from the city also, so far only restriction is how far I should be from MSD line. Most of the work would be contracted out but I want to have a hand in the building, atleast a small part of it.
Sounds like a good plan to me!

Every other day the builder of the garage would tell me how the township is taking the fun out of building structures in the area. The rules and regulations for putting an additional structure on your property, in addition to the details of the structure itself can be way more complex than any rational person would guess. I remember listening to TST podcasts where Matt Farah would talk about the struggle of building his (comparatively) gigantic commercial parking structure, and I could relate to quite a bit of his struggles as it related to the build of my ~530 sq ft residential garage. It took 8 months to build the garage and 4-5 of those months was dealing with township permitting issues---and much of the building codes for the township were authored by the engineering group I worked with. Interpretation of the code was a real pain.

If you don't live in SE PA though, things might be a lot more relaxed in your area. And I would be super jealous in that case!

·
Registered
46,528 Posts
If you don't live in SE PA though, things might be a lot more relaxed in your area. And I would be super jealous in that case!
I'm on the periphery of dealing with that kind of thing, and I hear architects, engineers and contractors talking about it all the time. It's getting crazy. Some builds are delayed up to a year so that the zoning board can maintain their hold on their little fiefdoms.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I'm on the periphery of dealing with that kind of thing, and I hear architects, engineers and contractors talking about it all the time. It's getting crazy. Some builds are delayed up to a year so that the zoning board can maintain their hold on their little fiefdoms.
And they wonder why people don’t pull permits. Obviously for big visible jobs like a garage, you have to, but for anything interior, yeah, I’d love a neutral third party to check my/my contractor’s work to make sure I’m safe and not getting screwed. But when the permit police are more likely to screw you than the contractors, F that, I’m hiding from them.

In my last house I called the village for a permit to add a bathroom in my basement. “Well you need a whole basement renovation permit. Who is your carpenter? Who is your electrician?” “Uh I’m DIYing that stuff”. “No, they won’t let you do that.” “Yeah, okay, nevermind thanks.”

·
Registered
28,199 Posts
Environmental/water run off is a huge issue for all the people in SE PA. I spoke to a guy near me who had a house built and noted that someone from the township had to record every single tree on the property before it was cleared to build the house. I was close to needing to spend an additional $10k+ on a water study of my property if the engineers couldn't work the numbers. This is for a smallish garage. The frustration was large!

·
Registered
8,181 Posts
“Garage project”, wife wanted those bistro lights strung between house and garage, over the deck between them. So I did.

View attachment 116934
View attachment 116937
But then they terminated halfway down the garage and I didn’t have an outlet. So…switched outlet in the eaves.

View attachment 116938
And because this is IL…conduit. Yuck.
View attachment 116939
Damn I love that. Wifey and I want to do bistro lights in the new pad....you're giving me ideas...

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Damn I love that. Wifey and I want to do bistro lights in the new pad....you're giving me ideas...
Cake project. Lights themselves were up in an hour, worst part was sinking the one anchor into the bricks. PITA but not hard. The outlet is a little more of a pain due to the conduit, but all depends on where you already have electrical. I have open rafters in my garage, so I just piggybacked off an existing outlet, tossed a switch in line, and just ran it to where I needed it. Probably $300 and an afternoon.

·
Registered
8,181 Posts
Cake project. Lights themselves were up in an hour, worst part was sinking the one anchor into the bricks. PITA but not hard. The outlet is a little more of a pain due to the conduit, but all depends on where you already have electrical. I have open rafters in my garage, so I just piggybacked off an existing outlet, tossed a switch in line, and just ran it to where I needed it. Probably $300 and an afternoon.
You are sending me down a youtube rabbit hole....

The switched outlet is a great idea, just would need to run it somewhere on the exterior of my house. I could even do an outlet out under a tree and provide power from there...hmmm.....

·
Registered
19,067 Posts
You are sending me down a youtube rabbit hole....
I actually installed a switched outlet under my walkout/shed area last weekend so I could install some lights, its a super handy concept with one outlet being switched and the other being constant power if you need to run an extension cord or something

Need to do a dump run and clean up some of the mess out here next

Untitled by fouckhest, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Getting a lot of ideas from this thread, hoping to be putting in a detached garage later this year. Plans being drawn up currently, it likely won't be high enough for a lift, but I'm OK with that. Just looking forward to having some project space and clearing half the clutter out of the current garage.

3161 - 3180 of 3300 Posts