VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
3181 - 3200 of 3287 Posts

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what kind of trusses are going in there, assuming attic trusses so that if I wanted to lay down some OSB in there I can use it as extra storage. I'm trying to avoid that as much as possible though, but may at least shove kayaks up in there. Center supports, I don't believe so, but I am no contractor (luckily for me, my FIL is).

Should be pretty awesome once completed, 3 of the sides will be built into the hillside in the backyard, planning to make a small deck at the back of it that I can mount my astrophotography rig onto as well. I'm gonna try to remember to set up a GoPro on the back of the house to make a time lapse of it being built.

·
Registered
2018 Passat GT, 2017 Tiguan RLine
1,182 Posts
As my son was starting JK a couple weeks ago.. I decided to take the week off so I can drop him off and pick him up... plus I wouldn't have been able to fully focus on work for that week anyway. After dropping him off I found my self pacing around the house, anxious about his 1st week. So I decided to distract my self.

BEFORE (there used to be a Ikea KALLAX unit mounted on the wall to the right of the radio)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

AFTER
Tire Wheel Building Car Automotive design

BEFORE

Floor Flooring Building Chair Gas

AFTER
Automotive tire Flooring Floor Automotive design Gas

BEFORE

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Electrical wiring Floor

AFTER
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Dartboard Automotive design

Peg Board and Slat wall are still in need of organizing and items finding their final spot.
The Air Compressor will go in the cavity over the Pantry/Beside the tire rack.
Currently working on a DIY Wall Mounted Power Washer set up, strictly for car washing.

As for the red wall... my 4 year old LOVES red, and insisted I paint the garage red... so I decided to incorporate it somehow. He was happy.

Would love to do a RaceDeck/SwissTracks floor, as it would really complete the space and we do use the garage to hand out in quite a bit, but its not something i want to shell out the coin for right now.

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
Really nice improvements! It sets the stage for more to come.

I like the wall-mounted vacuum. Does it work well for you? We have one of those large contractor bucket-style ones and it's always in the way.

And I'm curious what you come up with for the pressure washer. Mine also floats around and I'd like to at least hang it from the wall with the hose & implements all off the floor.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Really nice improvements! It sets the stage for more to come.

I like the wall-mounted vacuum. Does it work well for you? We have one of those large contractor bucket-style ones and it's always in the way.
I really like your wall-mounted vacuum---at least I think that's what it is. How do you like it and would you recommend it? What model is that?
Thanks!

The wall mounted Vac is actually the Central Vac unit for the home, with an central vac receptacle in the garage.(u can see it right under the unit).

The exact model is Electrolux SC380C. We bought it 6 years ago at Costco, as they had a great "kit" package, which included all your stuff for the house and this garage kit (hose, accessories, wall hanger). So the unit is mainly used for vacuuming in the house, and vacuuming the cars. We never use it to vacuum any garage stuff. I love it, its out of the way and ample power.

There are also people who mount their Shop Vac's on a shelf or on a storage pantry, and then buy a vac hose reel and a vac hose and run it that way.

And I'm curious what you come up with for the pressure washer. Mine also floats around and I'd like to at least hang it from the wall with the hose & implements all off the floor.
In the process of collecting all the hoses/fittings/adapters, but will certainly update. Its slow moving as I only work on it after the kids are off to bed.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
About 90% done as of this weekend. Even used it, zero leaks.
Just a few things to do to finish it off..
  • Need to make a little housing onto which i will mount the ON/OFF Switch.
  • Quick Connect on the gun, and will affix the gun to the wall (so it doesnt hang there like so), also need to hang other accessories (like the foam cannon)
  • And need to do something about the plug/outlet, so that the plug wire isn't running under the water lines.

Electrical wiring Line Electricity Gas Cable

·
Registered
19,064 Posts
Going to bump this back up and seek some vortex advise/recommendations. Drywall is done(photo is before final sanding), going to start priming soon, then start on paint.

Question is, to do a stripe or not? If so, what color? I honestly had been planning on doing a red stripe and painting my Rotary lift posts red (they are currently blue and faded), but not sure I am in for that kind of commitment at this point....also, debating painting that area/section above the window/garage door as an accent wall....thoughts?

pix for clicks
Untitled by fouckhest, on Flickr

·
Registered
890 Posts
I think the accent wall on the window side would look good if you were doing art on the entire wall (posters, displays, etc.). Otherwise I would do front -or- back -or- not at all. Just don't think an accent wall that large would look right if covered by the same stuff as everywhere else.

Then again, I work in Data Governance, not Interior Design. Great garage, btw! 🍻

·
Premium Member
ND2 Miata | X350 XJR
5,516 Posts
I have 4 accent walls at my place so clearly a fan, and I went with red in my garage to go with the Milwuakee toolbox. If you have the same or Craftsman, I think that'll look good although if you had a bunch of DeWalt stuff, not sure yellow would look that great. :unsure:

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Tire Automotive tail & brake light

For your garage, I think the side with the window would look the best, especially if you're gonna add posters as stated. Once you've primed the whole place, I think it'll be an easier decision with a clean slate. Are you planning on blending that ceiling door with its surroundings or making it stand out?

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
looks awesome thus far....what is your lighting situation going to be like? that can be a determining factor on brightness/light reflectivity for work space, under lift, etc. Will you be doing any floor treatment as that cause have an impact as well? Accent walls are fun and can really change the feel of a space. lighter colors tend to reflect better versus darker which tend to absorb the light a bit more... however outside windows can help offset all that too! I love me a good red stripe though! in for this for sure! nice work sir! My personal bias (I am OCD/clean freak), is white on white/sterile operating room/show room with bright lights and accents as desired! prior to insulation and drywall... white floors not for everyone BUT they make the space twice as bright with my now insulated white walls!
Automotive parking light Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
46,517 Posts
Going to bump this back up and seek some vortex advise/recommendations. Drywall is done(photo is before final sanding), going to start priming soon, then start on paint.

Question is, to do a stripe or not? If so, what color? I honestly had been planning on doing a red stripe and painting my Rotary lift posts red (they are currently blue and faded), but not sure I am in for that kind of commitment at this point....also, debating painting that area/section above the window/garage door as an accent wall....thoughts?
I'm a fan of both stripes and accent wall colors, so if I were in your shoes I'd definitely do one of those things. I like the idea of having it match a toolbox you might have, so that could help you narrow it down.

One thing is for sure. It looks like the lower walls are somewhat different heights from the concrete side to the framed side of the garage, so if you go with a stripe make sure it's far enough above the half wall to disguise the difference or as an alternative paint the entire lower wall and up a bit on the upper wall to disguise the difference. The accent wall technique would probably disguise it better still, as you'll subconsciously ignore the fundamental difference since you're accentuating the superficial difference.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts

pix for clicks
Untitled by fouckhest, on Flickr
I think you missed a spot with the dry wall 😆

Seriously, what is the plan for that area on the left?

·
Registered
48,707 Posts
Paint all the garage walls bright white to start. It will make the space much larger and cleaner. Then do the garage floor a light color. Then figure out what you have for cabinets and other wall decor. I would go with a stripe over an accent wall.

Hall Flooring Floor Wood Ceiling

Plant Floor Flooring Fixture Alley

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Honestly, I had wanted to do a stripe in my garage... but... it really only works if you don't hang anything on the walls... as soon as you hang something on the striped walls it takes away from the effect.

I'm a fan of the accent walls... where the whole wall is an accent, or some sort of a partial design (see what i did above in my own garage).

I also agree with Kiz regarding doing the appropriate accent colour to play off the work-benches/tools, etc.

Sometimes starting with all one colour and painting something like the doors a shade darker may be enough, especially if you don't want to commit to something right away.

·
Registered
19,064 Posts
I think the accent wall on the window side would look good if you were doing art on the entire wall (posters, displays, etc.). Otherwise I would do front -or- back -or- not at all. Just don't think an accent wall that large would look right if covered by the same stuff as everywhere else.

Then again, I work in Data Governance, not Interior Design. Great garage, btw! 🍻
I was actually thinking of doing the accent wall as the top part of the front wall where the brown garage door (that is going to change also) and the 4ft x5ft window are....basically do that as a different color to add some depth...I am thinking the brick portions I might cover with old signs and/or license plates, kind of a collage?

I have 4 accent walls at my place so clearly a fan, and I went with red in my garage to go with the Milwuakee toolbox. If you have the same or Craftsman, I think that'll look good although if you had a bunch of DeWalt stuff, not sure yellow would look that great. :unsure:

For your garage, I think the side with the window would look the best, especially if you're gonna add posters as stated. Once you've primed the whole place, I think it'll be an easier decision with a clean slate. Are you planning on blending that ceiling door with its surroundings or making it stand out?
I actually have a Kobalt tool box (brushed stainless) so it should work with anything....I definitely agree on having a better feel once it is primed!

Do you mean the brown overhead garage door? If so, my plan is to do away with that door and build a set of bifold doors that will fix the issue on the inside of the overhead garage door where the people door in there wont open b/c it hits the door track....those doors will play into the wainscot that I have planned for the lower part of the walls

looks awesome thus far....what is your lighting situation going to be like? that can be a determining factor on brightness/light reflectivity for work space, under lift, etc. Will you be doing any floor treatment as that cause have an impact as well? Accent walls are fun and can really change the feel of a space. lighter colors tend to reflect better versus darker which tend to absorb the light a bit more... however outside windows can help offset all that too! I love me a good red stripe though! in for this for sure! nice work sir! My personal bias (I am OCD/clean freak), is white on white/sterile operating room/show room with bright lights and accents as desired! prior to insulation and drywall... white floors not for everyone BUT they make the space twice as bright with my now insulated white walls!
Thank you, your space looks amazing! Bit jealous of the size...

Lighting will be 3 rows of 6x 4ft LED lights, flooring will be a light gray epoxy, definitely want a bright work space.

I'm a fan of both stripes and accent wall colors, so if I were in your shoes I'd definitely do one of those things. I like the idea of having it match a toolbox you might have, so that could help you narrow it down.

One thing is for sure. It looks like the lower walls are somewhat different heights from the concrete side to the framed side of the garage, so if you go with a stripe make sure it's far enough above the half wall to disguise the difference or as an alternative paint the entire lower wall and up a bit on the upper wall to disguise the difference. The accent wall technique would probably disguise it better still, as you'll subconsciously ignore the fundamental difference since you're accentuating the superficial difference.
Toolbox is brushed stainless, so it will be neutral to any accent/stripe color.

The lower walls will be a metal roof wainscot (like photo below), so it will be prime for a stripe to offset that contrast....my thought for the accent wall was the upper portion above the brown garage door (which as i mentioned above will be come bifolds, and match the metal wainscot)

I think you missed a spot with the dry wall 😆

Seriously, what is the plan for that area on the left?
You mean the brick part? I might cover with old signs and/or license plates, kind of a collage

Like this, but the color could be brought all the way down on that accent wall if you so desired. I think I'd let the different textures be different colors, though.

I'd probably go closer to white than what I put here, just for brightness.

View attachment 127275
Ahhh! a photoshop guy! I like that, would love to see if you could help me model a couple scenarios, any chance you'd be willing to help?

Paint all the garage walls bright white to start. It will make the space much larger and cleaner. Then do the garage floor a light color. Then figure out what you have for cabinets and other wall decor. I would go with a stripe over an accent wall.
Thats the plan! Flooring should be here today actually!

Appreciate everyones feedback, more to come!🍻

3181 - 3200 of 3287 Posts