VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
3281 - 3300 of 3300 Posts

·
Registered
19,067 Posts
That’s why I separated the “store room” from the garage. The store room is walled off and has an access door from the outside and also from inside the garage. All
The crap goes back there and allows the garage to be uncluttered. The storage room is 10 deep by 30 feet wide. So kind of like a big public storage unit.

I am trying my best to do this in my garage, I will have a "parts/storage" room in my current basement where one project car currently lives. It should be a nice home for in frequently used tools (engine stand/hoist), jackstands, etc...), I am trying to only have working tools in the new garage in order to keep it clean/tidy, same logic with the shed on the outside for all the domestic/yardwork tools

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
That’s why I separated the “store room” from the garage. The store room is walled off and has an access door from the outside and also from inside the garage. All
The crap goes back there and allows the garage to be uncluttered. The storage room is 10 deep by 30 feet wide. So kind of like a big public storage unit.
The goal once the detached garage is complete, is that there is then enough room in the existing garage with all the toolboxes and car related stuff moved out, to set up a rack storage system and keep it tidy (and all the junk stays in there, rather than in the new one). The existing garage is 28' wide, 24' long on one side and 20' long on the other, so realistically has plenty of room for storage once I get it organized. The detached garage will also have an attic space which should make for easy storage for stuff that is rarely used.

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4 GMT425
27,536 Posts
I have a storage room, but the storage room does not believe in an uncluttered garage, so the storage room spills into the garage.

Reactions: Atl-Atl

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
28,199 Posts
I always swear my next garage will be plain jane; painted walls with no decoration and a nice floor. That’s it.
What fun is that? Given what you've done with your current garage, I think your next one should be 3 times the size to really maximize your knack for putting together a garage.

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
is your storage space climate controlled (is that a requirement in California? ha)? my wife has suggested we add/include a storage and hang out room along with a bathroom, so basically it's turning into a carriage house.

I have a massive Lego collection that's taking up valuable basement space, so I would like to get that organized and properly stored.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
is your storage space climate controlled (is that a requirement in California? ha)? my wife has suggested we add/include a storage and hang out room along with a bathroom, so basically it's turning into a carriage house.

I have a massive Lego collection that's taking up valuable basement space, so I would like to get that organized and properly stored.
Not a requirement, but in my case yes… the storage room is heated and air conditioned, just like the main part of the garage.

Basically, the building is 70 deep by 30 wide. The storage room is the last “slice” of 10 deep and the 30 foot width. Actually, it’s about 23 feet because there is a bathroom at the other end taking up 10 depth and 7 wide. The photo below is an old one, but it shows the storage room door on the right at the far end, and the bathroom door on the left. They flank my workbench. The store room is behind that wall.

Your LEGOs need their proper space !

My storage room is piled high with all kinds of crap. My kids stuff, my mom’s stuff, baby things my wife won’t toss. Plus all my recreational and sporting goods. It’s a mess. But hidden !

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
I did much the same thing with my new shop, it has a 6x40 storage room with an exterior door and also an interior access door, keeps the clutter out in the shop to a minimum. It’s heated too.

Tire Wood Motor vehicle Wheel Floor
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Building

I also keep a fair bit of stuff in the attached garage, it’s far less organized but I have winter plans.

Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle

·
Registered
46,528 Posts
I also keep a fair bit of stuff in the attached garage, it’s far less organized but I have winter plans.

View attachment 137330
I'm quite jealous of your space (and collection) but I do hope your winter plans include making that dark gray stripe the same height all the way across. It doesn't matter if it follows contours, is larger or smaller of the two sizes, or better yet a new precise line slightly above the irregularity.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk®.

;)

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
I'm quite jealous of your space (and collection) but I do hope your winter plans include making that dark gray stripe the same height all the way across. It doesn't matter if it follows contours, is larger or smaller of the two sizes, or better yet a new precise line slightly above the irregularity.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk®.

;)
That dark grey stripe is actually the foundation, but i agree that something needs to be done, it looks crappy like that. you can also see where the floor wasn't coated where the old huge steps where that made that bay around 4ft shorter. Here's a picture from the listing showing those steps and the type of car you would be able to squeeze in. I wish i had his 996 Cabriolet too, i want one of those in my collection badly.

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
Not a requirement, but in my case yes… the storage room is heated and air conditioned, just like the main part of the garage.

Basically, the building is 70 deep by 30 wide. The storage room is the last “slice” of 10 deep and the 30 foot width. Actually, it’s about 23 feet because there is a bathroom at the other end taking up 10 depth and 7 wide. The photo below is an old one, but it shows the storage room door on the right at the far end, and the bathroom door on the left. They flank my workbench. The store room is behind that wall.

Your LEGOs need their proper space !

My storage room is piled high with all kinds of crap. My kids stuff, my mom’s stuff, baby things my wife won’t toss. Plus all my recreational and sporting goods. It’s a mess. But hidden !
ah that's a good picture to better understand the space and storage at the back! and absolutely - there are some valuable sets in that collection. 😄

I did much the same thing with my new shop, it has a 6x40 storage room with an exterior door and also an interior access door, keeps the clutter out in the shop to a minimum. It’s heated too.
I like that as well - bright lighting everywhere is great too.

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
I am trying my best to do this in my garage, I will have a "parts/storage" room in my current basement where one project car currently lives. It should be a nice home for in frequently used tools (engine stand/hoist), jackstands, etc...), I am trying to only have working tools in the new garage in order to keep it clean/tidy, same logic with the shed on the outside for all the domestic/yardwork tools
I was pretty fortunate that my garage came with an attached 14x14(ish) shed that acts as a storage room. Keeps all the yard tools and miscellaneous parts out of the garage. Not climate controlled, but the vast majority of stuff you'd put in a garage doesn't need to be. My garage is only climate controlled when I'm in it.

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4 GMT425
27,536 Posts
Ah yes. Next spring I plan to buil a 8×16 shed. Too much crap in the garage that is not car related. ^^

·
Registered
46,528 Posts
That dark grey stripe is actually the foundation, but i agree that something needs to be done, it looks crappy like that. you can also see where the floor wasn't coated where the old huge steps where that made that bay around 4ft shorter. Here's a picture from the listing showing those steps and the type of car you would be able to squeeze in. I wish i had his 996 Cabriolet too, i want one of those in my collection badly.
If it were mine I'd use a trim strip and put it as low as you can on the high side (while still hiding the somewhat rough top edge), cut bevels or square cuts to go around the (slight) corner, and paint it and everything below the same color. It'll clean it up nicely and hide the differences pretty well. It's cheap and easy. Like me!

The wall called my attention so much I didn't even notice the floor. :) Can that kind of thing be touched up? Can it be touched up, clear coated and chips added? Do you know what type of floor they used?

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
If it were mine I'd use a trim strip and put it as low as you can on the high side (while still hiding the somewhat rough top edge), cut bevels or square cuts to go around the (slight) corner, and paint it and everything below the same color. It'll clean it up nicely and hide the differences pretty well. It's cheap and easy. Like me!

The wall called my attention so much I didn't even notice the floor. :) Can that kind of thing be touched up? Can it be touched up, clear coated and chips added? Do you know what type of floor they used?
good idea on the fix for the uneven foundation. No idea on the epoxy but i plan on finding a solution for it this winter.

3281 - 3300 of 3300 Posts