VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
10,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After doing paint in the first phase of garage remodel, I realized I needed to do electrical, too.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

And yes, I even added electrical outlets.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Before we talk about the new car, let's tip our hat to the outgoing one. The Audi has been lovely, and I honestly have zero real complaints with it. It was everything I expected with zero disappointments, and we will miss it. I wanted a big, stupid, V8 super SUV before they all went away, and now I can say I have had one. I have a few minor qualms with this car - the fuel economy is bad (which we knew going into it) and started becoming annoying the more the gas prices went up. The seriously complicated OS in the car had some electro-freakouts (wrong seat settings sometimes when logging in, inexplicably loud alerts and turn signals that went away when you restart it, sometimes the cameras went on the fritz). But none of those required dealer visits, and in the end, the car was a rock star. We seriously considered buying the Audi off lease and keeping it, but in the end the new car worked out.

Godspeed Audi. You were special. We're gonna miss your spitting and popping cold-start antics that wake the neighborhood in the morning.

Here's a family good bye pic.

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

So, on to the new car. It's a 2023 Porsche Cayenne e-Hybrid Platinum Edition. Purchased, not leased, so this will complete my exit of the leasing Merry-Go-Round.

I know I need to get better pics - it was late when we got home. I will try and get some today, but until then, here's when she came off the truck:

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Car Vehicle Speedometer Gear shift Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle

The journey from order to bringing it home was a bit of an emotional roller coaster: We ordered it way back in April, and through many production delays and will-they-or-won't-they-accept-the-build, we got a production slot and got the car produced. Then it got shipped without a Bose amp, so it sat at the dealer for a few weeks waiting for parts. IN the middle of all this is the car market and interest rates. So there was a lot of times we weren't sure it was going to happen, which is another story for another day.

This is my first Porsche, and I never thought I would ever be lucky enough to order a brand new Porsche. I will be the first to admit this was an aspirational purchase, even more so than the SQ7. I had always wanted a PHEV, but I wanted a utility vehicle that was a PHEV.

Like all first-time Porsche buyers, I had to take a long walk through the large options-list garden when spec-ing out the car. In out-of-the-box form, no Porsche is what I would call "well equipped". You could order a zero-options car and it would be price-competitive, but they are missing a lot of features that many would call required, especially for an SUV. So to end up with a car that is decently equipped, you really need to be careful with the options list, and also resign yourself to paying high prices for stuff that should have been standard. The benefit though is you get to enjoy truly ridiculous levels of customization. If you have a specific vision, a long enough time horizon, and a lot of money to burn, you can assume Porsche will build whatever you want. I was seriously intimidated when I zero'd in on the Cayenne and started figuring out which model and options mix I wanted. Thankfully, my SA was active in guiding me on the build, and we landed in a spec which I feel was reasonably well equipped without going way overboard.

The goal was sporty do-it-all family vehicle, not maximum performance. So for that reason I did skip out on some of the dedicated performance hardware, like PDCC, the sports exhaust system, or the fancy (and freaking expensive) braking systems. I didn't feel it was necessary on a hybridized family hauler. But I did go for PASM and the air suspension, as well as the 4 wheel steering. It was pure magic on the SQ7 and because the Cayenne shared a platform, I wanted it in the Porsche too.

Other notable options are:
  • Carrera White Metallic/Black and Bordeaux Red leather interior
  • Premium Package Plus with Bose audio
  • LED Matrix headlamps in black
  • 4 zone climate control with heated and ventilated seats
  • 18 way comfort seats with memory
  • SportDesign front fascia with painted lower trim
  • Gloss black rearview mirrors
  • 21 inch Exclusive Design wheels
  • 7.2kW onboard charger
  • Trailering package

To top it all off, I had the entire front end PPF'd.

Driving impressions.

We're still very much in "honeymoon phase". And because it's a PHEV, there's a number of drive modes that significantly change the experience. From test driving another eHybrid, the performance in terms of acceleration is easily on par with the SQ7, if not the sound….nothing will beat the "refined NHRA dragster" sound of the SQ7 cold start. What I can say is this:

• We picked it up from the dealer, went to dinner, and back home all on EV power - 30 miles, as advertised. Acceleration is limited in EV mode but will easily keep up with traffic. It will easily accelerate up to highway speeds without any issue. Push beyond what just the electric motors can provide and the 3.0L Turbo V6 lights up and then things go blurry in a real hurry. I did flip it into Hybrid mode for grins a few times - works just like a Prius, just with a LOT more power.
  • It charges pretty fast - 4 hours or so on the 220V wall charger we installed.
  • The ride and handling is simply divine. Porsche is not a value brand, but one drive in any of their cars will show you where all the money went, and that's what won me over. This is the closest you can get to the old school Mercedes "built to a standard, not to a price" kind of vehicle. Yes, I know it shares the MLB Evo platform with other Audis/Bentley/Lambo, but it does not feel related at all. The ride is amazing - easily the most soft, solid, and luxurious riding vehicle I have ever experienced. But click it over to Sport + and it sharpens up like a 911. The steering is tight, accurate, and even has a bit of feel to it. And the front end feels like it's guided by lasers - it turns in like no other SUV I have ever driven.
I will update this post with more pics and impressions as we break it in. Sorry if I sound a little star-struck here, but I am honestly opening up the garage door and looking out there in complete shock and disbelief every 15 minutes.

Speaking of the dealership, here's some dealership eye candy I got while we were signing papers. I could have spent all day in the showroom looking at the GT3s and the Sport Classic. They also had a couple 993s and I saw a yellow Carrera GT go screaming by right as we were shaking hands to leave. My hope is that this will not be the only car I buy from these guys, but obviously.....that's a ways off.

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood

I just realized you can see our Cayenne in the delivery room on the left in this pic. :) It was next to a beautifully spec'd Gentian Blue 911 GTS 7 speed with a carbon roof and aero kit.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
Nice ride. It will be interesting to see the long term ownership of this thing. One reason I’m hesitant to buy out my 4xe lease is because I’m wary of the electronics and I’m wary of owning a 1G product that may obsolete quickly. Porsche is (should be) on another level from Jeep/Stellantis from a durability perspective so at least you should have that going, but OTOH it can be a very expensive failure. Are you going to do some sort of extended warranty?

·
Registered
10,034 Posts
Congratulations, sir! I'm glad that your purchase ended up happening despite all of the ups and downs. The Bose amplifier situation really sucks, and the uncertainty in the market right now makes it tough to plan further out.

I would have guessed you bought a Cayenne when you were talking about it before, but the e-hybrid is a pretty sweet cherry on top!

Enjoy the car in good health!

·
Registered
2003 Honda S2000, 2018 Subaru BRZ, 2015 GX460
23,544 Posts
Nice! Great pickup and i'm sure you'll like it, the Porsche plug-ins don't seem to get enough love. I think it's largely because the market tends to fawn over their more traditional offerings and the auto press doesn't care as much about a hybrid SUV as they do a GT4. Also, totally get what you're saying on Porsche options, I've looked at some of their offerings and the stuff you get standard from America/Japan is wildly different for the money. That said, it's pretty fun to walk into a dealer/ordering situation with a blank checkbook to just drop whatever on anything you want.

Case in point:

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Speaking of the dealership, here's some dealership eye candy I got while we were signing papers. I could have spent all day in the showroom looking at the GT3s and the Sport Classic. They also had a couple 993s and I saw a yellow Carrera GT go screaming by right as we were shaking hands to leave. My hope is that this will not be the only car I buy from these guys, but obviously.....that's a ways off.
View attachment 239021
Congrats on the new car!

That Speed Yellow 993 Turbo definitely caught my eye.

·
Registered
Model 3P, 981 Boxster S
4,775 Posts
MEGA congratulations! May you enjoy it in good health. It is my dream to one day order a new Porsche to spec. And what an excellent choice with the Cayenne.

What dealer is that btw? We are so far from any cool dealers here in VT I'd love to stop into one and look at inventory and get ideas.

·
Registered
10,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice ride. It will be interesting to see the long term ownership of this thing. One reason I’m hesitant to buy out my 4xe lease is because I’m wary of the electronics and I’m wary of owning a 1G product that may obsolete quickly. Porsche is (should be) on another level from Jeep/Stellantis from a durability perspective so at least you should have that going, but OTOH it can be a very expensive failure. Are you going to do some sort of extended warranty?
On the fence, but probably, and for the reasons you mention. If I am going to trust ANY German car, it will be Porsche, and it's quite obvious that they have done the engineering their way when compared to the Audi (itself excellent). Even the infotaimnent system is much slicker and easier to use than Audi's system.

I will make a decision the closer we get to end of warranty. I do trust Porsche because of how much they have invested in EVs....it was obvious from test drive through to delivery that EVs are not an afterthought at Porsche.

·
Registered
10,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MEGA congratulations! May you enjoy it in good health. It is my dream to one day order a new Porsche to spec. And what an excellent choice with the Cayenne.

What dealer is that btw? We are so far from any cool dealers here in VT I'd love to stop into one and look at inventory and get ideas.
The Porsche Exchange, Highland Park, IL.

They were fantastic to work with.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts