VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Garmin GPS Install

In an effort to sell my wife on how great a car the GSW 4M S was, the only thing holding her back was the lack of integrated GPS, which she had in her previous car. After educating her there was no way we could get GPS from VW in an AWD wagon without stepping up to the Alltrack SEL, she conceded. It helped she wasn’t a fan of the Alltrack looks and the added $10k price.

My solution was to add a large standalone Garmin to the car but as I quickly realized due to the size of the 6” screen on the DriveSmart 60, I didn’t want it mounted on the windshield blocking our view and power cables running across the dash down to the center 12v socket. Here’s what I came up with.

GPS: Garmin Drive Smart 60
Mount: Akron gooseneck GPS mount
Ad-on Socket Adapter: NOCO GC018 with Eyelet Terminal (high quality cable with eye outlet and fuse, though fuse not really needed)
Bag of Add-a-Circuit taps: EPAuto 12V Add-a-circuit Fuse TAP (this was the best deal I could find but if you don’t need more than one, you can save a few bucks more).
Total Investment not including GPS: about $35​

Resources: the best online instructions for adding a circuit and getting to the fuse box I found here on the MK7 forum: https://goo.gl/EI1GSv

Installation
Pulling the storage holder out to get to the fuse panel was harder than I thought since I felt like I was going to beak something. I found a YouTube video that showed you pull it to the right after opening the cover. The panel on the side was even more difficult but using a trim panel tool and a forceful tug, it popped off.

Installing the fuse tap and socket was pretty straight forward using the instructions on the MK7 forum. The NOCO socket has the ground eyelet already included and instead of using the power cable crimp connector I cut it off, soldered and heat shrunk the connection to the fuse tap wire.

I ended up removing the metal clip that holds the top left anchor for the side trim panel. This allowed me to route the USB power cable to the Garmin behind the trim without being in the way of the side panel. Once that was done, be sure to reinsert the metal clip to hold the side panel.

After tucking away the cables, socket, and Garmin power adapter off to the side (you cannot leave the power connector or Garmin adapter in front of the fuse panel, the storage compartment won’t close if you do), we were off and running.
Very clean looking, solid install. Couldn’t be happier.

Components

Fuse Location

Cable Routing

Wiring Complete

Side View

Back View

View from Driver’s Seat

Thoughts

I originally wanted to get a Bracktron or some other vent mount for the same location to make it look cleaner but wasn’t a fan of blocking the vent. In the summer I want all the AC I can get. This mount only blocks about the top 1/2 of the vents and gives you access to the vent controls.

I had to play with the Akron mount for a while to get it just right. At first it was mounted slightly higher and not resting on the dash. While the view and location was good, it tended to bounce a lot while driving. Once lowed slightly where it is resting on the dash it was rock solid. The Akron mount is just long enough, maybe a ½” shorter than I would like. How I have it mounted it angles the GPS slightly down but overall it doesn’t hamper the view or functionality and it looks much better in person than it does in the picture above. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That looks great. Question - is the dedicated GPS that much better then the CarPlay/Android Auto options that come with the car?
Maybe someone else can chime in but since this is the wife's car and she uses an iPhone, I've read you can't get Google maps to mirror on the head unit. I tried to convince her to use CarPlay and Apple maps but she's a "keep it simple" person. She's on the road a lot for work and spends a lot of time on phone calls, conf calls, etc and didn't want to fool with GPS and phone calls at the same time on the phone. If it was me, I'd just Google maps on my Android phone since I hate talking on the phone in the car anyway.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This looks so clean! Great setup and as a Alltrack S line owner, am seriously tempted to do the same. How long did this all take you?
If you don't have to break out the soldering iron and heat shrink, someone could do this in less than 30min. I'm anal about crap so it took me about an hour.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.