VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I don't know if I have boost leaks or what, my turbo guage starts showing boost at 3000 rpm and its at full boost (10psi) at about 3500-3800.
This is too slow, I know it is, something has to be wrong? but what? my bov is working correctly I think. could my wastegate be opening to soon or something?
I had a k14 on before and it was spooling at 1600 rpm. this turbo isn't much bigger and I've heard of people spooling bigger turbo's or trims before this. like stephen webb, he has a T3 50 trim I believe and he's spooling at 2400 and full boost by 2600.
Let me know what your spool up is too and what you think it could be
Sandy

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Re: Garrett T3 turbo diesel spool up on 1.8 crossflow? Too slow? why? help (purplerabbit)

You could have a boost leak or an exhaust manifold leak. That turbo should spool up way before it is. On the same engine my T3/T4 spools up pretty close to what yours does.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Re: Garrett T3 turbo diesel spool up on 1.8 crossflow? Too slow? why? help (purplerabbit)

Do you have the stock cam installed? Is the cam timing set correctly? Are you sure that the turbo is what you think it is?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Garrett T3 turbo diesel spool up on 1.8 crossflow? Too slow? why? help (gtibunny8v)

Theres no exhaust manifold leak but could the wastegate be opening early? I know its not cracked
I don't know about boost leaks, I think it might be leaking out of where the isv slides into the intake manifold. I don't know how else to hook it up though? I have a check valve at the end so its not leaking through it.
Yes the cam is stock, I guess I don't really know but I think it is, I bought the head off ebay. it doesn't leak or anything
The regular old timing through the hole and on the timing belt is fine but I don't have one of those adjustable sprockets or anything.
Yes the turbo is a garrett T3 from a vw diesel. It has a crazy small trim(40-45) and its only .36hot, .42 cold. (thats real small)
So how should I go about fixing it? I have a performance cone or whatever but its paper and not a k&N that wouldn't have anything to do with anything major hey?
It must be leaking from the wastegate or the isv? What do you think, anything else?
thanks for your help
Sandy
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
3,044 Posts

You could get an OBDII upper intake and nix the isv and manually set your idle. What kind of wastegate setup do you have? Maybe you have a bad can. Do you have a boost controller?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts