VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, i just got a pretty nice 80 scirocco, but when i put a full tank of gas into it, i smell fumes in the interior while i'm driving...has anyone else experienced this, i noticed the other day a hatch of sorts under the back seat, i'm wondering if there is a bad seal there or something? a gasket that tends to go bad? i haven't had time to go and really check yet because i'm at work and noticed it late last night...does anyone know the part number of the seal under the seat, or where/who to talk to about it? thanks

·
Registered
590 Posts
Re: gas fumes in interior (schwerbahn)

It sounds like the seal to the fuel pump/gauge sender unit is loose or leaking (fuel only reaches it when it's full). Pull up the rear seat bottom (held by two bolts just in front of the seat) and see if the access panel is leaking when you slosh the fuel in the tank around?? It comes out by turning it counter clockwise. Check the fuel lines coming out of the pump and also the fuel filler neck hose for cracks.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I had the same problem, chech your fuel filler neck because it does go through you inner rear fender well and if it is leaking or rusted you will get that fuel smell. If it is your sending unit seal it still shouldn't get in your car because of the cap on top of it. Just me 2 cent's worth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.