VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1.8T 5-speed 2001.5 wagon. I traveled from the Massachusetts Berkshire mountains to the Hartford CT area Friday evening (saw Wynton Marsalis at Tanglewood - amazing show) and thought I would travel according to speed limit. I was surprised to see over the course of about 80 miles that gas mileage was 38 MPG! (37.8 actually)
I figured it was because I was on the gradual descend from higher to lower elevation.
I should have checked the round trip MPG for the up and down, but thought I would boast here about the return.
Ordinarily, if I carefully drive speed limit around town, I get about 32, and on highway about 34. If I accelerate satisfyingly fast it goes down to the low to mid 20s around town.
I drove a W8 6-speed around town gingerly and averaged 30 MPG - 28 mpg on the highway around 60 mph - I hit the pedal hard and saw it go down to 21 immediately though.
Restraint = good MPG Satisfying acceleration = poorer mpg - thank goodness we have a choice. I wonder what a W8 would have gotten on the way back from the Berkshires? Or a V6?
Who has been checking out your MPG lately?

Modified by psychwarlord at 3:16 PM 6-30-2003

·
Registered
120 Posts
Re: Gas mileage boasts - what stories do you have? (psychwarlord)

I have a 2002 GLX with the 30V V6 and a 5sp manual. With the weather up in the 70's and 80's now in Michigan, I have been averaging 30MPG. I do about 75% highway driving. Lately on my drives home, doing the posted speed of 70mph for about 18 miles and between 45-60MPH on the last 12 miles, I have been getting 32-34 on my onboard readout. Fillups show approx 29.2 to 31.2 MPH.
during the winter I got about 25 to 27 MPG.

·
Registered
31,266 Posts

With the V6 and Tip, I get about 14-16 city and a fairly consistent 30 highway.
The computer averages about 0.8MPG higher than my calculated MPG -- never lower...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: Gas mileage boasts - what stories do you have? (Lwize)

I live in San Diego (duh). Full tank to Las Vegas, refueled (less than half tank)at Vegas back to San Diego, next day to Santa Ana back to San Diego.
480 miles on a full tank, averaging 36 mpg!

·
Registered
5 Posts

Being an engineer, I'm kinda fanatical about the whole mileage thing... and its my wife's car (i get the old 84 volvo turbo brick -- http://www.turbobricks.com)

Car is a 2002 passat wagon gls 1.8t, auto.
We're in the Bay Area, so we're stuck with 91 octane -- not sure how all the additives affect things. We make regular 100 mile trips through SF to the north bay, car loaded with kids and crap... here's what I've found:
All highway:
60 mi/hr => 34mpg
65 mi/hr => 33mpg
70 mi/hr => 31mpg
75 mi/hr => 29mpg
80 mi/hr => 27mpg
The trip is about 85 highway miles and 15 city miles, 70mi/hr or so on the highway, ( but also including 19th ave in the city), we usually get right about 29 or 30mpg.
Brian.

Modified by brianator! at 4:49 AM 7-4-2003

·
Registered
10,503 Posts
Re: Gas mileage boasts - what stories do you have? (brianator!)

On my 40 mile highway trip to work I would routinely get 40-41 mpg. Coasting down the hills in neutral DOES work for increasing mpg - and I don't believe the argument that it's unsafe. But also, work was at a lower elevation than home, so on the trip home I would get 35-36 mpg.
The stock Continentals were good at one thing only - low rolling resistance. Once I switched to stickier tires, my mileage dropped 3 mpg.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts