VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed my trip to Atlanta. I drove for about close to 400 miles. I got average of 19.0 mpg. I thought that was pretty good considering how much stop and go traffic we were in, and also the numerous times we missed our exits.
All in all.....I love this car. Alot of people were suprised to see me pull up in it at the hotel...I guess they thought that someone my age should be driving a ford focus.
In closing...the ride was superb. Couldn't have asked for anything better.

P.S. - on a side note to all you Atlanta Folk.... Houston's is an amazing restaurant. The food is great!!!!!!!!! Go try it out if you haven't eaten there!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Re: Gas mileage on trip was good.... (cgmb16)

What was your average driving speed? This is the first time I've heard someone getting 19mpg!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to check on the computer to get it officially...but on the interstate we averaged at about 80 mph.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Re: Gas mileage on trip was good.... (TCinOC)

I find that hard to believe but I hope you are getting that much as that gives me hope at least. I am still averaging around 13-14 MPG. Trip must of been on a downhill slope!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Re: Gas mileage on trip was good.... (spikeital)

Very hard to believe unless you had a massive tailwind in both directions or one of those Ebay Tornado 12 volt superchargers.
Wind resistance of a car doubles between 50 and 70 MPH and for a massive frontal area like the Treg that is overwhelming.

Modified by See5 at 9:50 AM 2-15-2004

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Re: Gas mileage on trip was good.... (See5)

I could believe 19 mpg but at 60 mph, not at 80. Next time you take that road trip, figure out your mileage with a calculator, don't believe the MFI.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Why would it be hard to believe? I average 16mpg on my V8 doing aprox. 50% highway, 50% city (about exactly what VW says it should be giving me). I don't think 19 mpg highway on a V6 is difficult to get. However, it'll all depend on your driving style!

·
Registered
135 Posts

Hey cgmb16, I believe ya man, I just completed a 400 mile trip in one day Thursday which included interstate/city and a little off road (visted site I am getting ready to develop) . My MFI showed 17.80 mpg at the end of trip, I had a 1/4 tank+/- gas left so the back of envelope calc (assuming 19.80 gal fuel spent) results higher 20.20 mpg go figure!!!. No tailwind invovled and no

Peace

·
Registered
2,287 Posts

Quote, originally posted by spikeital »
I find that hard to believe but I hope you are getting that much as that gives me hope at least. I am still averaging around 13-14 MPG. Trip must of been on a downhill slope!

I have seen 19.2 mpg on a trip we did to PA (500 miles) all interstate at speeds around 75 mph. Configuration was as follows:
Suspension: Comfort
Roof Racks: Removed
Cruise Control: Sometimes
Fuel: 93 octane only
Weather: 20F
Tire Pressures: 40 psi all the way around
Load: 3 passengers + full luggage
My wife drove to accomplish these stats.

On the way down when I drove, I got 17 mpg doing 80-85 mph with no cruise control, sport suspension, and everything else basically the same as above. We also got there 1.5 hours sooner too.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

Best so far, 20.8 mpg on a 300 mile round trip 20 degrees outside.
80mph sometimes [thanks 'speed warning'], put it in crusie @ 72mph to control my lead foot.
By the way, the MFI said 21.3 mpg
I have gotten a couple of 20.2's as well.
The worst I have ever gotten was 16.8 mpg with alot of idling, due to the extend -6 degree temperatures.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: Gas mileage on trip was good.... (SlotCAR)

Jeebus, you damn Touareggers are getting better mileage than I get on my 1.8T Jetta!

·
Registered
48,167 Posts
Re: Gas mileage on trip was good.... (BRM10984)

Alright guys, who left the door unlocked and let the Jetta-er get in?

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: Gas mileage on trip was good.... (spockcat)

Quote, originally posted by spockcat »
Alright guys, who left the door unlocked and let the Jetta-er get in?

Funny, funny. I've been posting here in moderation since day one because I have full intentions of one day picking one of these bad boys up. Unfortunately, not all of us young adults are as lucky as Christina or Craig, so we have to wait a while.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Re: Gas mileage on trip was good.... (BRM10984)

Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »
Jeebus, you damn Touareggers are getting better mileage than I get on my 1.8T Jetta!

That's because you need the TDI Jetta.
I can pull 45 MPG all day . . .
Also, I have pulled about 19 mpg in the Touareg. Roof racks removed and A/C OFF!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Re: Gas mileage on trip was good.... (bravocharlie)

Quote, originally posted by bravocharlie »
...Tire Pressures: 40 psi all the way around...

Bravocharlie, can you tell me how is your tire wear at that pressure?
I've been running my tires at the recommended pressure (38 front, 42 rear) and it seems ok.
Not intending to hijack the thread. Is there a better thread to ask?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Re: Gas mileage on trip was good.... (leebo)

Quote, originally posted by leebo »
I've been running my tires at the recommended pressure (38 front, 42 rear) and it seems ok.

I'm running the 'recommended' tire pressures as well.
Down to 8/32nds of tread depth after 8000+ miles.
18" Continentals, with 10/32nds original tread depth [if I remember correctly]
I wanted them rotated at the 5K oil change. Dealer recommended not to do so as the wear is identical all the way around.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Re: Gas mileage on trip was good.... (leebo)

Quote, originally posted by leebo »

Bravocharlie, can you tell me how is your tire wear at that pressure?
Not intending to hijack the thread. Is there a better thread to ask?

Well, I'm not sure how to answer that question because I do have some uneven tire wear on the inside fronts. However, this may be caused by the ongoing stepper motor / transfer case control module issue I am having. Otherwise, my tires are wearing fine.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Gas mileage on trip was good.... (See5)

Quote, originally posted by See5 »
Very hard to believe unless you had a massive tailwind in both directions or one of those Ebay Tornado 12 volt superchargers.
Wind resistance of a car doubles between 50 and 70 MPH and for a massive frontal area like the Treg that is overwhelming.

Modified by See5 at 9:50 AM 2-15-2004

I'm sorry to dissappoint you but I really did get 19.0 mpg according to the MFI. I said my average speed was 62 mph.
I had cruise set to 82. On the instantaneous mpg it stayed around 22 or 23 while crusing....I got over there and still had a notch above a half tank.
Thanks to all the people who believed me, and no hard feelings against the people who didn't believe me.
I should have followed your lead S4..and calculated my own. Next time I will! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I do however love ATL though. The T-reg handled nicely...even in the enormous amounts of traffic.
I just wish that people who haven't seen a Touareg before wouldn't stop in the middle of traffic to look at me....That is how you cause wrecks!

Brian...you will get a T-reg one day. Don't loose sight of your dream! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was very proud doing 18.6 on a trip....but yesterday MrTsMom managed to do an amazing 19.4 mpg.....100% highway, average speed about 78! we have 4662 miles on the counter..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mountain driving

I just took my two week old Touareg on a breakin drive. Drove 102 miles at an average speed of 42 mph. This included an elevation change of up 3000 feet then down 3000 feet. Average temperature of 45 F. MFI indicates 19.6 mpg for my V6.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts