VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Official TCL 'what's your gas price in yer neck of the woods?' poll

• It's below $4 a gallon! Time for me to get a Hellcat!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
27,770 Posts
So I've been driving the SS 20,000 miles a year.

Total average between commuting, canyons and road trips is 16 mpg.

Lets call gas in my area $4.25.

$5,312.50 estimated for gas.

At least gas is cheaper than tires. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
I just looked at Fuelly and I've spent $3867 on my Yaris since 2012 (and a set of summer Michelins in its little 175/65-15 size cost $500). :laugh:

I was buying gas every 2 weeks, but we moved in November to be close to work (1 mile away) and now I'm going 2 months between fill-ups: last two were 12/2 and 2/5, and I have a quarter of a tank in it right now. It is so great having two extra hours a day - do it if you ever can.

·
Registered
27,770 Posts
I think it depends.
I get it, and it makes more sense out in your neck of the woods where you can have fun with it. A 45-minute commute here sucks, though one upside was that I did feel a lot more informed as I could catch a whole episode of Marketplace.

We have to do 9 hours (8 + 1 hour lunch) so adding almost an extra hour is rough.

·
Registered
27,770 Posts
We have really different cost structures. I killed a $500 set of fronts in three months. Oops.

$3,867 in 7 years is insane. I spent that much on a road trip to AZ last year in consumables in a week. :eek:
It was a great car when we were single income - so cheap to buy and run. Besides tires it has just needed a battery, fluids/filters and a wiper. I still like it but am kind of bored/over it and will be moving up a class or two with its replacement.

I still put 91 or 93 in the 325, just because it’s German and I assume fragile. It’s cheap insurance.

I will say the last time I had to fill up a Q5 loaner I put 87 in it. But I was in a bad mood and feeling a little sour.

It ran fine, in fact I really couldn’t tell a difference. It also wasn’t my car.
My car specs 87 but pulls timing on it and revs like a dog when it's over about about 95° / heat soaked. I put midgrade (89) in it from about May to September which cuts the minor hesitation and gives back the free-revving nature.

·
Registered
27,770 Posts
Proportionally it's still about the same, 10% jump between grades in my experience.

When gas was $1/gallon it was about 10 cents.

Now, it's about 25-30 cents between grades which matches $2.50-$3/gallon prices.

Buc-ee's is exactly 25 cents per grade

·
Registered
27,770 Posts
Our Costco is $3.59

We live a mile from work and five miles from Costco so not super concerned (yet) but might dial back some summer road trips.

Glad we still have the Yaris (low 30s in the city) - I wonder if it will double in value like Geo Metros did in '08 since you can't buy a new car like that anymore (aside from a Versa sedan, I guess).

·
Registered
27,770 Posts
I paid $350 AUD (over $250 USD) to put 160 liters (180L capacity) in the Prado. And premium has gone up another 10% since...
Eeesh, at least that would last awhile. (Right? Is it a diesel?) I recall our Belize rental Prado held that much, I drove it almost 1000 miles before filling up.

That would be $168 here for 42 gallons at $3.99

1 - 20 of 48 Posts