VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Official TCL 'what's your gas price in yer neck of the woods?' poll

• It's below $4 a gallon! Time for me to get a Hellcat!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1881 - 1900 of 1903 Posts

·
Registered
51,424 Posts
Also China's demand is below average right now. Could be they are going to head into recession, or it could be they are wrapping up all their pandemic lockdowns and China's oil consumption will soon come back too. It's hard to make a case for oil/gasoline continuing to get much cheaper unless we really do go into a pronounced recession.

View attachment 221058

China is continuing its Zero Covid policy and it continues to hurt their economy.

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
41,358 Posts
Let me ask a broader question, what do you all think the "right" price of gas should be in the US?

I tend to think that a $3 average (87) is about "right" for reasonably healthy economic times.

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
China is continuing its Zero Covid policy and it continues to hurt their economy.

Xi is in a pickle of his own making. If he had simply respected the traditional term limit, he could be heading for a life of retirement as a respected elder statesman and blame whatever happens on his successor. Since he's decided he'd rather be "president for life", he will now owns whatever happens. China is looking at its own financial crisis on real estate, and the demographic boom that powered their economy for the last 25 years is starting to look like a bust. On COVID, they could have just ordered everyone vaccinated and then opened, but decided they'd rather have the control of regular testing and lockdowns. Now that they are committed, they can't backdown.

All that said, China's sluggish demand doesn't change that Western reserves continue to draw. It's just not being reflected in retail pricing because the government is essentially subsidizing oil right now. That's a bit problematic as it interferes with price signals telling the drillers to drill. SPR is down to early 1980s levels. If the government wanted to drain it entirely, they could maintain this another 9months to a year, but I doubt they'd be willing to go there (for national security reasons as much as anything). As is, the SPR releases are set to stop in about 6 weeks.

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
Let me ask a broader question, what do you all think the "right" price of gas should be in the US?

I tend to think that a $3 average (87) is about "right" for reasonably healthy economic times.
I don't think there's a universal "right" price. It's going to depend on where we are in the oil and gas investment cycle and what else is happening in the world.

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
41,358 Posts
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
87 climbed back up to $4.8x again, sucks to see it going back up to $5+ again.

·
Registered
37,204 Posts
Gas prices have been on the rise in California, which unfortunately is dragging Arizona with it. What felt like only a week after I was happy to see $3.99 at my local station, it's $4.25 now and apparently it's not just my nearest station. Prices skyrocketed here in the last week in particular.

Rectangle Slope Font Plot Line

·
Registered
Corolla Hatchback
8,894 Posts
We've hit $2.99 (with fuel points $2.89) here and I could drive a bit for actual $2.89. We shall see how that lasts. I did fill up from less than 1/4 tank for $26 so that was kind of amazing.

·
Registered
23,332 Posts
We dropped to $2.79 but Costco is back to $2.99

Anecdotally, I am hearing more 1st-2nd-3rd gear WOT runs on the six-lane road a block over from our house. When it was $4 there was no street racing, but now a few crackle tunes are coming back.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Gas prices have been on the rise in California, which unfortunately is dragging Arizona with it. What felt like only a week after I was happy to see $3.99 at my local station, it's $4.25 now and apparently it's not just my nearest station. Prices skyrocketed here in the last week in particular.

View attachment 222728
Prices are up in 20 cents this week in Queen Creek. Just in time for my work to require me to show my face in the office a couple of times a week. At least it’s only a 20 mile trip each way.

1881 - 1900 of 1903 Posts