VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Official TCL 'what's your gas price in yer neck of the woods?' poll

• It's below $4 a gallon! Time for me to get a Hellcat!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1901 - 1920 of 2052 Posts

·
Registered
38,883 Posts
Gas jumped this week from 4.29 to 4.59 here. Noticed some stations were at 4.99 on my way to work this morning. Location is the East valley of Phoenix.
Yeah we (Phoenix) are getting dragged along for the ride with Los Angeles, where it's over $6/gal again. I'm not used to prices going up after Labor Day, but maybe that SPR release is slowing down or something. I can't find any hard data on exactly how the SPR's releases have been timed but the trend since Labor Day has been up for sure.
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Line

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
41,758 Posts
With Russia going full conscript to make some sort of last effort in Ukraine, plus the below, I think the market is just reacting to more geopolitical chaos.

We are sitting at a low of about $3.30 (87) here right now.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
With Russia going full conscript to make some sort of last effort in Ukraine, plus the below, I think the market is just reacting to more geopolitical chaos.

We are sitting at a low of about $3.30 (87) here right now.
Biggest factor over the next two months will be the strategic petroleum reserves. Massive oil releases from the reserve (about 1 million barrels a day) are what brought gas prices down between June and now. Those are set to end in November. It's possible they could be extended. though there's only enough in the reserve to extend for another 8 months or so at this rate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Prices had been going down for most of the summer here in Seattle, but have gone up SHARPLY in the past week or 2.

The cheap gas (Arco) is $4.93 Today. Chevron down the street from my house is $5.20. I am very lucky to live close enough to my work to ride a bike and save a ton on gas and parking!

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
41,758 Posts
Just in time for winter heating oil season, great.

fwiw, they've been missing their goals anyway, so the actual amount of oil on the market won't change that much... but perception will drive the market some.

• Angry
Reactions: dubdaze68

·
Registered
38,883 Posts
So OPEC's cutting quotas at the same time the SPR releases end. Anybody who relies on home heating oil should maybe consider buying for the whole winter rather than wait. I'm also scratching my head trying to guess where prices will land out west here where the majority of counties in 7 western states are over $5/gal already with California pushing $6.50/gal in the L.A. / S.F. metro areas.

We're at those prices already and the SPR and OPEC+ cuts haven't even started yet - and that's on about 7% lower national gasoline demand this year versus last year (8.6 vs 9.2 mbpd).

World Gesture Font Art Slope

Rectangle Font Violet Magenta Parallel

·
Registered
2018 VW GSW, 2023 BRZ 6MT
4,671 Posts
Gas prices have been on the rise in California, which unfortunately is dragging Arizona with it. What felt like only a week after I was happy to see $3.99 at my local station, it's $4.25 now and apparently it's not just my nearest station. Prices skyrocketed here in the last week in particular.

View attachment 222728
I'm seeing this mentioned as a driver of the sudden west coast price hikes. Planned refinery maintenance, unfortunate timing.

·
Registered
38,883 Posts
OK so as an example of how quick the spike is, that post above that quoted me was from September 22nd, where I mentioned the jump from $3.99 to $4.25 in Phoenix. I filled up last weekend, October 1st, and it was already $4.99 here. "Refinery maintenance" sounds like garbage to me because actual gasoline demand is lower than last year. There should be spare capacity since demand's been lower all summer long, but whatever.

EDIT: I didn't want to make a new post, but I just saw that Biden is releasing another 10 million barrels from the SPR. It was previously running at about 1 million a day, slated to end October 31st. Now he's releasing another 10 million to make sure we get a couple days past the election before the SPR releases stop. This is probably one of the more obvious signs of just doing short-term actions to get through the election, but whatever.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I'm waiting for 87 at Costco to hit $6/gal. It's probably there already, but I filled up a few days ago at $5.89 again.

·
Registered
2018 VW GSW, 2023 BRZ 6MT
4,671 Posts
"Refinery maintenance" sounds like garbage to me because actual gasoline demand is lower than last year. There should be spare capacity since demand's been lower all summer long, but whatever.
OK so it might sound like garbage to you but is it really garbage? Seems to me a pretty easy thing to verify....or not. And it's only happening on the west coast, not midwest or east.

1901 - 1920 of 2052 Posts