VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where you can buy a complete gasket kit for a '88 90q on the net. or what about a complete bushing kit for the same car?

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Re: gaskets (gidrew)

Never seen a complete bushing kit - but on ebay, user "snolvr8" AKA Wendy has great deals on Bilstein and Boge brand bushings/strut mounts. Her prices beat what the Audi dealer pays at wholesale cost.
Also check out http://www.thepartsconnection.com

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: gaskets (billzcat1)

thanks Rich, you think i should replace my lower control arm bushings too while i'm down there doing the sway bar? Also can i get away with 4000csq sway bar end links bushing?

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Re: gaskets (gidrew)

You can definetly "get away" with a 4kq sway bar bushing because they are exactly the same as the 90. Same PN and everything. If you are down there doing bushings, might as well do the control arm bushings. Be careful though, these are a pain to do without the right tools/procedure. I have my own tools/procedure for doing them in a bench vise, but Huw Powell has a good setup with plumbing parts that he posted on his website.
http://www.humanspeakers.com/audi/
His setup is nice because you can do them in the car. I have to take them out, but still its only about a 10 minute job for me now that I have lots of practice.
Important - when replacing the control arm bushings, you should not tighten the bolts at the subframe until the car is back on the ground. The best way I have found is to jack the car up, do the work, put it back together loosely, and drop the car back down directly on a set of ramps. Then you can slide under there and torque them. If you torque them in the air, the control arm will be at the wrong angle and when you set them back down, the bushings are twisted a long way and they wear out/tear very quickly.

·
Registered
22,319 Posts
Re: gaskets (billzcat1)

If you find that there is too little space for tourqing them on the ground, you can place the floor jack under the control arm and lift the car. This keeps the control arm in pretty much the same angle as when the car is on the ground.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts