VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just moved my stereo down to the center console and i was wondering what materials did you guys use to hold the guages into the old stereo hole and how did you fasten the m in. pictures would also help.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Re: gauge placement (kangondub)

I've been thinking about the same thing. Where in the center console did you relo your stereo? Where the ashtray is (was) or in the space above (which seems a bit too small)?
The din plate seems like a good idea... I found a plate for sale with the 2 1/16" holes already made, but they're from the UK.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

yea i put it where the ashtrey was. it was a tight squeze cause my stereo was a little big but it looks good. ****ty part is in the process the damn thing broke so know i have to get it fixed.

·
Registered
851 Posts

Anyone put their gauges in the spot where the ashtray is? Are there any prefab kits to do this? Right now I am only interested in installing a voltmeter. Anyone just install one gauge and if so where?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Re: gauge placement (GTIcrazy)

quote:[HR][/HR]Anyone put their gauges in the spot where the ashtray is? Are there any prefab kits to do this? Right now I am only interested in installing a voltmeter. Anyone just install one gauge and if so where? [HR][/HR]​
I believe some of the earlier A1 GTI's came with the guages mounted in the center console.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Re: gauge placement (GTIcrazy)

quote:[HR][/HR]Anyone put their gauges in the spot where the ashtray is? Are there any prefab kits to do this? Right now I am only interested in installing a voltmeter. Anyone just install one gauge and if so where? [HR][/HR]​

I did this. You have to do some cutting ect, and it is a tight fit.
IMO guages are better of in the stock radio position, and the radio where the ashtray is. Makes everything a little easier to use.
You can by the ashtray panel from pottermans

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
Re: gauge placement (vuu16v)

i got vdos from an a1, and cut the din peice out, it looks ok, but i couldnt figure out how to install the gauges, so i never did and they are sitting in my garage,
Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts