VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Im curious to know what everyone recommends on the guage front. I like the idea of the Vent based gauge because it seems to be the cleanest approach as far as looks are concerned. I do not like the loss of being able to direct the air. ( i like aiming the air at my face on hot days )

with the column pod, I feel like all stock functionality is retained, but it seems to have the most "Tuner" look like something one might find in a Civic. (nothing wrong with that just not sure its my style)

Im curious to hear feedback on each and if anyone has them photos.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Unfortunately there are always sacrifices, but I've enjoyed my vent pod and wouldn't switch to the column pod even if someone paid me to. Since I park in a lot quite often, I wanted a more stealth look for the average passerby and with tinted windows in the dark it is really hard to even see that I have a gauge. I also enjoy that the wiring is easier to get to (and it was easier to wire up) with the vent pod should something go wrong.

However I do completely understand those who are in hot climates wanting the directional control of the vents. I only run my A/C about 5 times a year so it isn't a big deal to me that I can't move the vent since I just readjust the middle ones to me. Overall I'd recommend the vent pod all day long, in terms of looks, discreteness, easier installation, and I find it easier to read while driving around.

Here's a pic of mine: http://i.imgur.com/XiOwUpwl.jpg

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have not yet order my vent pod (plan on doing so this summer), but I am also going to go with the vent pod for similar reasons as mentioned above. IMO it looks much cleaner, is out of the way, doesn't require the driver to look at it, whereas on the column it's right there so you'll be looking at it (good for when my wife is driving she can just ignore the vent pod as it's off to the side), and just an overall cleaner look.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was looking into this as well. I like the P3 vent pod but I really dont feel like spending $300 on it. I also dont really like the normal gauge pod in the vents and dont like the column pods. I have thought about retrofitting a normal gauge into the top vent on top of the dash if this makes sense? That way it is subtle but still have your vents and all. If anyone has questions I will post a picture of the vent and think I will be starting the retrofit and making of a pod soon.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Vent pod is way cleaner and isn't ugly like a column pod.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Had 2 gauges over steering wheel in mkiv. On hot days the steering wheel would rub holder.

In my mkvi I did p3 and love the functionality without having to use a phone app, does much more than boost. I never notice loss of air. Most people think/ask if it was stock

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yeah vent pod definitely looks killer but with the Florida weather a column pod is what I'm looking for. Need to scoop one up soon, that new south bend one looks amazing.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Column! I had a vent pod and the reflection in the window at night drove me nuts. If I did vent again I would put a separate switch to turn off the backlight.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yeah vent pod definitely looks killer but with the Florida weather a column pod is what I'm looking for. Need to scoop one up soon, that new south bend one looks amazing.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk
Indeed,

The Humidity is starting to kick in. We need that vent to work. :laugh:

·
Registered
14' GLI, 17' Tiguan Sport, 08' R32(sold)
1,197 Posts
I went with the P3 and love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
317 Posts
That looks really nice ... and it keeps the direction? Where do i find it?
Here's a few options that I had in a document since I thought about buying one before I got my vent pod:

NGP Racing
^^^ Personally I'd go with these guys, I've had nothing but good experiences with them ^^^
P3's Own Site
ECS Tuning
Modded Euros

There are more, but a quick Google search should do the trick and every once in a while one pops up on the classifieds. So if you aren't set on immediately getting one now, then I'd wait for a while and see if one does. :beer:

·
Registered
14' GLI, 17' Tiguan Sport, 08' R32(sold)
1,197 Posts
That looks really nice ... and it keeps the direction? Where do i find it?
Yes it stays just like that, it also dims when you turn your headlights on. I got the track pack version so it gives me everything, PSI, Air intake temp, Air fuel ratio, speed from the ECU, 0-60, 60-0 braking, battery, etc.

I actually live just down the street from them so I got it local.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I got the steering pod because I actually prefer it to partially blocking a vent, with the heat and cold of Minnesota I use my HVAC a lot and constantly change my vents. Plus I love the look of the pod on the wheel personally.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Do p3 n you will be very happy. 0-60 is pretty cool. Hmu if you have any questions. You are running a similar setup to my 1.8

1 - 20 of 20 Posts