VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone, I'm shopping around for gauges. I'm more likely going to go with AutoMeter gauges. Now I'm going to be putting them in the spot where the radio used to be. I need to know from the peolpe that have put gauges there, what size gauge did you go with? I am thinking of putting 3 gauges in that spot. Can the people that have done this help me out, and if you have pics, post them up for me? Please.
Thanks in advance.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Re: Gauges where the radio used to be (REDJETTAMK2)

This is shawnoen's setup... he used a factory VW DIN plate #191-857-231B...

Nothing bigger than a 2 1/8" gauge fits in the opening.

[Modified by phatvw1, 6:01 PM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Gauges where the radio used to be (phatvw1)

nice, real nice. I like the VDO gauges. Do they make white face gauges? Got to keep it the same as my speedo and tach now right?
Thanks phatvw1
Anyone else have any pics?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Gauges where the radio used to be (SeattleGLI)

good point but a cabby in this area. HA! I'll be old and grey with one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel when a wrecker around here gets a cbby. But very good point. What about a Fox? Did they not have gauges?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts

Those VDO guages are supposedly discontinued (a few years back)...

...and if you do find a cabby, don't take just the faces, take the gauges and the senders as well. It'll save the $30 US for each gauge and $12-25 US for the proper senders.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

yea, I kinda figured that. But if I was to get some out of a cabby(let's say) and the senders and other neccessities were not availible, could I not get it from the stealer instead of the U.S? Exchange rate sucks for us right now!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]yea, I kinda figured that. But if I was to get some out of a cabby(let's say) and the senders and other neccessities were not availible, could I not get it from the stealer instead of the U.S? Exchange rate sucks for us right now![HR][/HR]​
Yeah, but they might suck your wallet clean (I have no experience with this though...)
And yeah, that exchange rate stinks right now!
I'm seriously thinking about giving my relatives in the US the following Christmas wish list...
1) US cash
2) US cash
3) US cash

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

WOW!!! you and I have the same list!!!!!
"vision of U.S. dollar signs dancing in our heads" <- t'was the night before christmas.
Well time to get friendly again with the relatives.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Well time to get friendly again with the relatives.[HR][/HR]​
Mine were at my place for US Thanksgiving and we convinced them to come to Canada for Christmas 'cause of the weak dollar. No point going down there... plus it gave me the chance to schmoooze a little bit and my aunt offered her 8? Porsche 924 (TLC required to return to original condition... her husband drove it into the ground
)

[Modified by phatvw1, 12:30 AM 11-28-2001]

·
Banned
4,337 Posts

shawn and I seem to cover this question every time. Talk to him though, cause I didn't do mine, but if it gives you any ideas. His job is also much cleaner and well done http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Gauges where the radio used to be (Tornado Wolfie)

The ring around the gauges seems like it's the ring off the factory radio(Heidelberg) am I right.
If so not a bad idea!!.

Phatvw1, Porsche 924, nice. can be alot of fun.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Phatvw1, Porsche 924, nice. can be alot of fun.[HR][/HR]​
No kidding.. I've driven it, but it needs a new exhaust, timing belt, full tune up, all engine seals have to be replaced, new radio... It just adds up. Plus I'm going to university next year-> empty wallet, empty bank account.... http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif I want the poor man's sports car...VW

[Modified by phatvw1, 11:30 AM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
5,121 Posts

shawnoen's gauges look really sweet with the factory plate, get that if you can http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Re: Gauges where the radio used to be (eightvalvejettacarat)

I'm just wondering how he cut the openings... a rotary tool? (dremel?) The plastic must be thin at the edges...

·
Registered
26,522 Posts

Have fun with the 924...and keep in mind...that car is essentially a 924S without the 2.5l engine
(and, oh, 40+hp, but who's counting...) The body accessories and phone dial wheels from a 924S should fit that car no prob.
I'm going to go to the stealer and get the DIN blank plate and mess about with it. Letcha all know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

yea, I'm going to head to the wrecker today to, if I don't find it then it's off to the stealer.
But I believe you can use a dremel, or even a variable speed jig saw. Rether use a dremel though(alot cleaner cuts)
Does anyone know if AutoMeter gauges light up when the dash lights are turned on? If so are the bulbs easy to change? I've got red dash lights on my Jetta.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Have fun with the 924...and keep in mind...that car is essentially a 924S without the 2.5l engine
(and, oh, 40+hp, but who's counting...) The body accessories and phone dial wheels from a 924S should fit that car no prob.[HR][/HR]​
Thing is it is a 924S with the phone dial wheels...
My parents won't let me take it though... maybe I can make a deal with grandma so that I can keep it in her driveway if my aunt plans to give it away. I'm not about to ship it up to Montreal from New Jersey.

[Modified by phatvw1, 4:17 PM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
5,707 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]What about a Fox? Did they not have gauges?[HR][/HR]​
No they did not. Any Fox you see with little VDO gauges were done by the owner. Like mine. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 29 Posts