VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 171 Posts
Re: GB: Group Buy on MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust (vincenthotrod)

quote:[HR][/HR]hey i have a qn. if the stock piping for VR6 is 2.5, then wouldn't going with the 2.25 for a magnaflow be more restrictive? would that reduce power?[HR][/HR]​
All original vw piping is 2.25. Magnaflow claims 2.25, but in reality, I measured the system and it's a good 1/8" larger than 2.25. The end that matches up with stock is flared down to match.

Re: GB: Group Buy on MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust (2kjettaguy)

Ah ok. Thanks!
For some reason I thought that Vr6ers had larger piping. Also one more qn: Will going up to 2.5 cause loss of power (loss of backpressure), or gains (less restrictive)?

Re: GB: Group Buy on MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust (vincenthotrod)

quote:[HR][/HR]Also one more qn: Will going up to 2.5 cause loss of power (loss of backpressure), or gains (less restrictive)?[HR][/HR]​
loss of backpressure=less restriction. I noticed gains on my 2.0 when my car was naturally aspirated. My powerband increased and the car revved more freely. The article I read in European car tested the system on a vr6 and dynoed a 14 hp gain. Another magazine tested it on a 1.8t and lost hp, but I find that hard to believe that a turbo car with less restriction lost hp w/ less backpressure. Either way, believe the hype however you want. I have only seen the vr6 dyno for this exhaust and it was great! With my knowledge of engines, I say less backpressure on any engine will help the engine reach high revs faster, which to you means higher acceleration times. It is all a system though...not everyhting is bolt on
Hope this helps http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Re: GB: Group Buy on MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust (Breaker-Breaker)

When does this groupbuy run through?
I'm looking into possibly getting an exhaust system as a Xmas gift and I am curious what you guys think of this compared to say the Eurosport System. I know in the European Car article it rated the Eurosport as the best exhaust out of the ones tested, however that was for a 1.8T and I drive a VR6.
So, I'm just wondering if maybe someone dyno tested any of the other systems(eurosport included) and how they compare for a VR6, maybe some linkage to a site that had such a comparison.
Thanks

[Modified by VR6, 8:33 PM 12-3-2001]

Discussion starter · #56 ·
Re: GB: Group Buy on MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust (fly_gti_guy)

yes it can. either by cutting and welding the pipes or taking somewhere and getting the pipes heated up and bent.

41 - 60 of 171 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.