VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone notice a gear lash sound when coasting with the windows open? Is this normal or could it be a stepper motor issue?

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Re: Gear Lash sound When coasting (pvjq)

Please describe - lash to some - may be a hum - and to others sheer pleasure!
Cy

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Gear Lash sound When coasting (cybulman)

sort of a light metallic winding type sound. Not neccessarily unpleasant...but present louder than I've ever heard it on any other all wheel drive vehicle. I would just like to know if I'm the only TREG out there with this...or that notices this.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Re: Gear Lash sound When coasting (pvjq)

Quote, originally posted by pvjq »
sort of a light metallic winding type sound. Not neccessarily unpleasant...but present louder than I've ever heard it on any other all wheel drive vehicle. I would just like to know if I'm the only TREG out there with this...or that notices this.

I know exactly what you are talking about. Mine does this as well. It is especially noticable when going around a drive thru or something like that where you can here the sound echoing off the building. It doesn't sound to keen to the ears.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Gear Lash sound When coasting (cgmb16)

Yes thats it exactly! I'm glad I'm not the only one who hears it. So do you think this is normal???

·
Registered
139 Posts
Re: Gear Lash sound When coasting (bravocharlie)

Its the chains and gear lash in the Xfer cases. Some vehicles have a bit more slop and tend to "hum" a bit more. They will all do it as they age. Not generally indicative of a problem but very typical with chain driven xfer cases.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Gear Lash sound When coasting (doug goldberg)

Thanks for the responses...I feel better knowing it is nothing to be concerned about and is normal

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Re: Gear Lash sound When coasting (cgmb16)

Craig- the thunk noise can be avoided if you put your foot firmly on the brake pedal before starting off.
The hum is more noticeable when I slow down and the transmission changes down from like A4-3 to 2.
Cy

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Gear Lash sound When coasting (cybulman)

Thunk???? Who said anything abouth a "thunk"??? what is that?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts