VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking all over town and I can't find redline gear lubes anywhere. Matter of fact I can't find just strainght GL4 anywhere either. I believe its the sulfer in GL5 that is bad for brass, what I was wondering was this....
If the lube says that it is GL3, GL4, and GL5 compatible is it harmful for the sycros in my 020 tranny. I'm taking my transmission into the shop tomorrow to get it rebuilt and I want a good lube put back in.
Fox

·
Banned
7,560 Posts
Re: gear lube....what if????? (Foxtrot)

Find some 100% synthetic GL-4 and you'll be just fine...after about 2 weeks use, the Redline MTL i just put in my tranny doesnt feel any different than the last 100% synthetic i had in there, it did for about a week, but now feels no different than the last stuff i was running.....good luck to ya http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: gear lube....what if????? (Foxtrot)

Quote, originally posted by Foxtrot »
If the lube says that it is GL3, GL4, and GL5 compatible is it harmful for the sycros in my 020 tranny

No, that's fine. Each GL is a service rating, like the SJ, etc ratings for motor oil. It describes a use for which the lube is ok. So as long as GL4 shows up, it's safe for all GL-4 Applications. You can run into viscosity issues still (too thick or thin for the syncros to work, for example), but that will have nothing to do with the GL rating. Many synthetics are rated for both GL-4 and GL-5, as they are able to get the additional shear resistance of a GL-5 without the use of sulphur, so they can still be used in syncro trannies too.
Try to get something around 80W (i.e. 80W-90 at the thick end, 65W-80 at the thin end) and it should work fine. 70W-85 would be perfect for North America, so of course you don't see it, which is why people argue between MTL (65W-80) and MT90 (75W-90).

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: gear lube....what if????? (negativl)

Thanks yall for the info. I took my tranny into the shop this morning to get it rebuilt, a ring gear bolt kit, and a 80% peloquin diff shim kit put in. So hopefully I'll being hearing back from them soon on it. I managed to pick up a couple of quarts of Redline MT90 from a speed shop on the way to the transmission shop, so I'll just run it and be HAPPY

Fox

1 - 4 of 4 Posts