VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is noticeable under decel, but only when the transmission is in gear, and it's not brake dependent. Especially noticeable in third gear and when it's hot outside, but it does it in other gears as well. The noise is definitely coming from the back of the car, and I thought I heard it on acceleration as well, but I can't be sure.

Does this sound like a bad haldex unit or a bad rear differential? Car has 66,000 miles on it, so perhaps it is time for a rear diff fluid change. Haldex service has been done every 20k miles.

Thoughts?

- Anthony

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
The **** is normal. I hate it, but there ins't a fix aside from a whole new rear end.

No side effects other than the noise.

·
Premium Member
36,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The **** is normal. I hate it, but there ins't a fix aside from a whole new rear end.

No side effects other than the noise.
Really? I never noticed it on my R32 back in the day. Although I only had 26,000 miles on it.

Perhaps new rear diff fluid could quiet this down. Do we know exactly what is causing the noise?

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
my car does the same thing. its not normal but i havent gotten into it to hammer it down. it just started one day going down the interstate. its sounds like a gear whine to me. maybe a rear bearing but it just doesnt sound like that

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I think I remember hearing about the retaining nut for the pinion gear backing off and creating a whine from the rears of the R's. Search as I cannot remember the details exactly and if anyone else has any info on it please fill us in or correct me.

GL to the OP,
cris

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Where is the pinion nut? Is this an easy at home fix, or is it rather involved? And does anyone know the correct torque value?
Its at the very end of the haldex/diff unit.

You can't order the part by itself.

In other words, buy a new diff, or get used to it. :banghead:

·
Registered
25,717 Posts
This will make it seem really complicated, but I bet in reality once you drop the rear end out of the car that opening it up and tightening the nut would be pretty simple. You wouldn't need to mess with any of the shim stuff they are talking about.

https://acrobat.com/#d=G-bSUe-IS1WQx3bV1X8EDg

I had my rear replaced under warranty back before I had my garage + lift. If it does it again, I'll drop it out myself and attempt to tighten it. Should be able to be done in a day.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
This will make it seem really complicated, but I bet in reality once you drop the rear end out of the car that opening it up and tightening the nut would be pretty simple. You wouldn't need to mess with any of the shim stuff they are talking about.

https://acrobat.com/#d=G-bSUe-IS1WQx3bV1X8EDg

I had my rear replaced under warranty back before I had my garage + lift. If it does it again, I'll drop it out myself and attempt to tighten it. Should be able to be done in a day.
Interesting.

I have a whine, but half the time it comes from the front of the car, the rest of the time its the rear.

Oh, make sure your tire pressures are not uneven. Make sure they are not toed out odd as well.

·
Registered
465 Posts
The whine is from the rear pumpkin because the stock motor mounts wearout and let the motor move like 1+ inches leading to gear deflection in the rear. I put 034 "track density" mounts in yesterday and no vibration and no whine. Maybe I just found my .:R before it was beat a little bit (27K in dec of 08). I would change my tarns fluid and rear end (lifetime) fluid just to have the lub, how many miles on the car??:beer:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Once the 3x VF mounts we're installed, the drive-line whine becomes very noticeable on deceleration, noticed same condition on another .:R.

Figured it was just the VF mounts allowing more vibration and resonance through the chassis.

·
Administrator
'83 GTI, 04 R32, '14 GLI, '15 GLI
21,675 Posts
Anthony.. as others have said pretty normal. If you want to compare I can swing by and you can hear what mine is doing and that has 100k on it(yikes). I had it before the VF dogbone mount was put on and it only got worse after.

I'm pretty religious about changing the diff oil and doing the Haldex service especially w/the car seeing track time.

How loud is it when you have the windows closed and the a/c on? Do you hear it at a steady state when the car is all buttoned up like that?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.