VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to diagnose a small boost leak for a while now. I notice that in 2nd and 3rd gear my gauge only peaks at 15 or 16. Then in 4th it might peak to 17ish and in 5th and 6th gear it will usually hit 20.
Being that the car is flashed with Revo stage 2+, I should easily be at 20+ in 3rd and 4th gear around 3k rpms or so and have been in the past with the settings I'm on. My question: is the reason it peaks at higher levels in 5th and 6th just because the gearing is longer and the boost has a longer time to build?
I'm thinking the leak might have something to do with the area around the EJ throttle body pipe or associated piping/hoses. I have a relocated "D" dv (awe) and a CC kit (42dd) that are in tip top shape and would likely cause much more than a 2-4psi loss so I've pretty much eliminated those options.
Any other ideas or suggestions in tracking this little fuc*er down?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Re: Gears and boost ? (brekdown29)

my intercooler connections were all dirty, creating the boost leak. Check the connections from the piping to the intercooler and from the intercooler to the piping (in and out of the IC), remove it even if it looks ok, clean it and reintalled. Very easy to do. I went from max 14 psi to 18 psi and I had no codes.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Checking out the intercooler hoses is probably a good idea. Also check your turbo because the exhaust housing has cracked on a few cars (including mine
) If that is the problem you can have the crack welded

·
Registered
361 Posts

Quote, originally posted by brekdown29 »
I've been trying to diagnose a small boost leak for a while now. I notice that in 2nd and 3rd gear my gauge only peaks at 15 or 16. Then in 4th it might peak to 17ish and in 5th and 6th gear it will usually hit 20.
Being that the car is flashed with Revo stage 2+, I should easily be at 20+ in 3rd and 4th gear around 3k rpms or so and have been in the past with the settings I'm on. My question: is the reason it peaks at higher levels in 5th and 6th just because the gearing is longer and the boost has a longer time to build?
I'm thinking the leak might have something to do with the area around the EJ throttle body pipe or associated piping/hoses. I have a relocated "D" dv (awe) and a CC kit (42dd) that are in tip top shape and would likely cause much more than a 2-4psi loss so I've pretty much eliminated those options.
Any other ideas or suggestions in tracking this little fuc*er down?

Something else you might want to view is at what RPM's are you shifting.
IIRC:
Lower RPM's should get you higher boost numbers.
As your rpms increase, usually the boost decreases.
Basically, check the boost at the same rpm levels at each gear to see if there is consistency.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have a question similar to this.
I have APR Stage II+ and my gear read something like this.
1st - 10psi
2nd - 15psi
3rd - 22psi
4th - 22psi
5th - 22psi
6th - 22psi
Seems strange to me.
Mods:
APR Downpipe
42DD Catch Can
Forge Twintake
APR Fuelpump
AWE Vent Gauge
I guess any other mod doesn't affect this problem.

Modified by element43 at 12:14 PM 4-30-2010

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Re: (element43)

Quote, originally posted by element43 »
1st - 10psi
2nd - 15psi
3rd - 22psi
4th - 22psi
5th - 22psi
6th - 22psi
Seems strange to me.
Mods:
APR Downpipe
42DD Catch Can
Forge Twintake
APR Fuelpump
AWE Vent Gauge

just wondering...did your boost numbers change from stage 2 to stage 2+? Maybe you went directly to stage 2+, but maybe someone else here can answer

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (stgII GLI)

Quote, originally posted by stgII GLI »
are you still on the stock PCV set up?

No - using a 42dd catch can kit

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Gears and boost ? (CanadianJetta2.0T)

Quote, originally posted by CanadianJetta2.0T »
my intercooler connections were all dirty, creating the boost leak. Check the connections from the piping to the intercooler and from the intercooler to the piping (in and out of the IC), remove it even if it looks ok, clean it and reintalled. Very easy to do. I went from max 14 psi to 18 psi and I had no codes.

This is what I'm thinking too. I had a Forge Twintercooler installed on Friday (not picking up the car until Monday) so I know my shop will be taking all of this apart anyway. Like I said, I also have the EJ throttle body pipe which I wouldn't be surprised if there was a small leak from one of the connections. a 4psi jump is pretty crazy though just by cleaning your connections/hoses.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Gears and boost ? (piston)

Quote, originally posted by piston »

Something else you might want to view is at what RPM's are you shifting.
IIRC:
Lower RPM's should get you higher boost numbers.
As your rpms increase, usually the boost decreases.
Basically, check the boost at the same rpm levels at each gear to see if there is consistency.

I'm aware of this - peak boost is usually between 2500-3500 rpms and those are the same ranges I used in my gear comparisons.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

1st - 10psi
2nd - 15psi
3rd - 22psi
4th - 22psi
5th - 22psi
6th - 22psi

I think this is pretty typical, as long as you are peaking in third. You'l;l never get to the same psi level in 1st because the gearing is so quick (I think the same thing for second). What I find troubling is is that I only hit 16/17 psi in 3rd when I know that's too low.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts

1st - 10psi
2nd - 15psi
3rd - 22psi
4th - 22psi
5th - 22psi
6th - 22psi
Seems strange to me.
Mods:
APR Downpipe
42DD Catch Can
Forge Twintake
APR Fuelpump
AWE Vent Gauge

those are spike numbers? not max holding boost numbers? Even a APR K04 deosn't hold 22 pai

·
Registered
487 Posts
Re: (Uber-A3)

yes spike numbers. It holds around 16 or so. I tend to wach the road more than the gauge hehe.
I'll give it a go with full vag com logging next time I get a chance to go find an empty piece of road.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.