VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Geico renewal email. $911 for 6 months.

--------------------------------
2012 Audi A4
2012 VW Golf TDI

100/300 BI limits
100k property damage
500 deductible for collision/comp, but $250 deductible comp on the Audi (expensive windshield)

Wife 27, one speeding ticket in 2011
Me 31, clean record
--------------------------------

Didnt like the renewal quote. Too much money. I have a good record, F$% this high insurance

Went online and got a quote through Esurance for $501.

I went ahead and started that policy since it was $400 less for the exact same coverages. Should have switched a while back to be honest, but I liked Geico because I have the mechanical breakdown coverage on the TDI (Basically an extended warranty through 100k miles)

Went to call back Geico to cancel and they gave me the typical: 'Please don't go, let us see what we can do with your rate' b.s. I have been asked that before typically these agents cant do anything to significantly lower the rates other than making sure that all discounts you qualify for are being used.

The agent tells me that they have a new policy rating system that they are trying out in Colorado and if I can spare 10 min she will see if it will lower my rate. What the hell, I have been with them forever I'll give them a shot. Couple standard questions later and she comes back with with a quote of $457, for the exact same coverages.

Thats 1/2 of what they quoted me in my renewal email...

I asked wtf is going on? My renewal email, which I just got 2 days ago, didnt include this new rating system. She said that its so new that agents have to manually enter the policys to get the new rated.

If you live in Colorado and have GEICO, check this out. Right now you have to call to get this deal.

tl;dr: Geico dropped my insurance rate from $911 to $457 after calling to cancel.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I switched to Geico a month ago after Progressive tried to charge me 240 a month on my truck. I had been with Progressive for many years and actually I liked them, but it was about the money. I called to ask them what they could do. They came back with 180 a month. Still too high so they sent me to someone else to see what they could do about keeping me with them. After about 20 minutes the lady came back with 220 a month. How the hell did it go up another 40 a month? No clue.

So I switched to Geico on the spot and pay 120 a month for the same coverage.

I'm 25 with a clean driving record.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I to was with progressive for like 9 years, i just switched to geico and went from paying 83 a month to 53 a month, Funny how i just got a new quote when i got the new car rate didnt change at all and i even dropped a car from my policy. So no brainer to switch companies.

·
Registered
715 Posts
we just switched to Geico because they had a lot better rates than all state

2010 Tiguan, full coverage (wifes) 250 deductible
2001 audi a4 tq comprehensive and 250 deductible
1992 honda civic liability only

i am 25 clean history and the wife is 23 clean history, i love rates in ohio....

we pay $76 a month.....

·
Registered
824 Posts
progressive ended up being cheapest for me im 22 in a 2001 jetta and i pay 167/month in ky with a 500$ deductible had 1 ticket for improper take off(stupid campus cop). geico who i switched from was 180/month before the ticket then it went up to 220/month

·
Banned
6,736 Posts
i wish there was competition in Ontario. I'm getting raped, like everyone else who lives here.
Live in Ontario, cars plated in Quebec :laugh:

'97 Golf = $46/mo
'95 855 = $62/mo

Full coverage on the 855

·
Registered
22,394 Posts
Isn't uncommon, you are pretty much being brought in as a "new" customer all over again with all applicable new business discounts applied plus with a rewrite of your policy an improved credit score or accident history favorable impacts your rate.

If anyone calls you will most likely need to make it clear you are going to cancel over rates.

·
Registered
14,360 Posts
Damn, your insurance is cheap......

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.