VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading Jay's car blog regarding the gen3 EA888 1.8T (http://jayscarblog.com/?s=ea888+1.8t) and in his blog is a pdf. technical writeup regarding this engine from the people that developed it. It is by far the most comprehensive information to date that I have read. To access the PDF in question, scroll down to the article that mentions 2014 Jetta gets 170 HP 1.8 T Engine then there is a PDF link that gets into the nitty gritty of the engine

I bought a 2014 Passat SE w/roof with Gen III EA888 1.8T auto. As much as I love Audi's development for my car, all of the enhancements to achieve these new efficiencies kind of scare me. Auxiliary water pumps. There appear to be several "duals" and "auxiliaries" in this "improved" power plant.

Time will tell if these technological advancements will withstand the rigors of time and wear and tear without ripping a gaping hole in the pockets of owners like me that tend to drive the wheels off our cars. I love the engines, performance, economy and refinement, but what will be the ultimate cost be, at let's say, 80-100k miles?

I love advanced quality engineering, but that mysterious gray area of diminishing returns for a given benefit seems to elude the most brilliant of mankind. Perhaps Gen III EA888 1.8T will be the Holy Grail that truly grasped the golden chalice. We shall see.....in time.

Any feedback is most welcomed.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
These new motors are very complex. I would never expect them to be "cheap" to own. VW/Audi will make truck loads of profit from the maintenance and repair of these turbo-charged motors.

·
Registered
297 Posts
VW/Audi will make truck loads of profit from the maintenance and repair of these turbo-charged motors.
Well, I have a 12yr-old 1.8T with 200,000Km on it and VW certainly has never made a truck-load of profit from me. The new engine might not be better than the old, but I don't expect it to be worse. All my VDubs have improved with each generation.

Besides, it is not the engine itself that is ever the issue (for me), it is the bits hanging off it; starter motor, water pumps, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts