Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
20,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1989 M3, 1998 M3, 2000 323it
1,942 Posts
Hot news. The lowest paid generations relative to cost of living INCLUDING the Great Depression are having financial difficulties. Big research.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Hot news. The lowest paid generations relative to cost of living INCLUDING the Great Depression are having financial difficulties. Big research.
Time to play "Boomers say the stupidest ****" bingo, "what millenials need to do" edition

"Avocado toast"
"Social media"
"I paid my way through school"
"Basket weaving degree"

Etc. I'm also over it

·
Registered
12,764 Posts
Since when are millennials born in 1980? Who do I call to protest this bull$hit.

I always thought I was Gen X.
You are on the bubble, but I always thought it was supposed to be people who reached adulthood in the 21st century. So, you’d be at the tail of GenX. Anyhow, it’s a rather arbitrary distinction.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Source? Also, inflations a bitch.
Don't forget that consumer prices (which doubled or tripled since the tariff war etc. provided excuses) are not tracked directly by inflation. That and 1.8% raises for the last 10 years when inflation was 2.2% starts to really hurt. So yeah even though inflation still somehow doesn't look too bad we are all getting destroyed at the register and on the paycheck. Here is a source, they are talking about wage gap, women got a raise and men took a cut since 1980 (a high point for inflation so this is best case scenario). I bet if they calculated it starting from 2000 or so it would look much worse.

Millennials and the pay gap : Monthly Labor Review: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (bls.gov)

·
Registered
A chili pepper and an empty crate.
8,973 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Source? Also, inflations a bitch.
Its multi factorial. I havent seen a single source capturing it all. But you think about it from the POV of someone's bills, a lot of important and high $$$ **** has blown way past inflation.

Student loan balances have exploded. Since 1970 the average inflation adjusted loan balance has quintupled (5x). And a college degree is more important than ever.

Healthcare costs have skyrocketed as well. The leading cause of personal bankruptcies by a wide margin is medical expenses.

Childcare costs are also exploding.

Slope Rectangle Plot Font Parallel

So when I hear people write off the challenges young people today face it makes my blood boil. It shows a total lack of empathy and proud ignorance about the world they live in and have strong opinions/convictions about.

·
Registered
A chili pepper and an empty crate.
8,973 Posts
Its multi factorial. I havent seen a single source capturing it all. But you think about it from the POV of someone's bills, a lot of important and high $$$ **** has blown way past inflation.

Student loan balances have exploded. Since 1970 the average inflation adjusted loan balance has quintupled (5x). And a college degree is more important than ever.

Healthcare costs have skyrocketed as well. The leading cause of personal bankruptcies by a wide margin is medical expenses.

Childcare costs are also exploding.

View attachment 192154

So when I hear people write off the challenges young people today face it makes my blood boil. It shows a total lack of empathy and proud ignorance about the world they live in and have strong opinions/convictions about.
I agree with all of this, but I'll note there's a component of sad irony to it as well. For example, our generation struggles to afford houses, but also spurns the abundantly available and decent paying construction jobs that increase the supply of houses. :(

·
Registered
1989 M3, 1998 M3, 2000 323it
1,942 Posts
There’s a common theme that it’s either the older generation that managed to reach earning potential before homes skyrocketed so they got to avoid needing 100k saved for a down payment to live anywhere with opportunities for high paying jobs, or could easily reach median household income or better with no college education that don’t seem to understand it. That or people that live in butt**** nowhere that can’t understand why people that grew up in the city don’t want to move to a small town in Arkansas and open up an independent hardware store.
“I did it why can’t they! iPhones and avocado toast!”
If I skipped a daily Starbucks tall dark for 430 years it would be enough for a down payment for a house in my neighbourhood. Maybe I should start today.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
28,741 Posts
I agree with all of this, but I'll note there's a component of sad irony to it as well. For example, our generation struggles to afford houses, but also spurns the abundantly available and decent paying construction jobs that increase the supply of houses. :(
It's not just houses, but your generation and the next shun anything having to do with physical labor. Be it someone that cuts hair, fixes your car, builds your house, driver for a car service, etc. Labor jobs are plentiful, but candidates for them seem to get fewer each year. There's simply a shortage of younger people who want to do stuff. It seems like automation, in situations where it can be used, may no longer be such a dirty word. But it also seems like the term "trade" or "trade school" is a dirty word.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 1161 Posts