VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone i've been thinking about maybe picking up an early 90's gti but i really dont know a whole lot about them... if anyone can answer any of these questions i'd appreciate it very much. thanks
-what year gti's had those dual headlights? i know 92's did but did any other year have them? those are real cool lookin'
-what were the seats like? i keep hearing about recaro seats but i've never actually seen them. i heard that 88' had the best seats... old school seats that said gti on them?
-how reliable are the 16v? i've heard that alot of stuff breaks on them... but if i find one the was well taken care of it shouldn't be a problem.
-how quick are the 16v compared to the golf III gti vr6's? i know they weigh about 500 pounds less but they have 40 less horsepower
-does anyone know stock 0-60 times or quarter miles times?
-how rare are the 16v's and how much more then blue book should i be willing to spend?
'
well thanks alot for your help i do appreciate it very much. thank you

· Registered
48,461 Posts
Re: general info on golf II (sublime5254)

-90-92 gtis had the quad round headlights stock. any mk2 golf or jetta can be converted to these though
-dunno about teh seats..i like my stock 87 16v seats tho..if that means anything
-16v are reliable if you give it some love and attention, when you find one to buy get it looked at by a mechanic you trust...so you dont get yourself in over your head...theyre good engines though
-vr6s didnt come stock on any mk2, theyre quite a bit faster than a 16v stock, but with the right mods a 16v could take a stock vr6
- go to gti16v.org they should have the 0-60 times and 1/4 miles times on there, also a good site on 16v info
-theyre moderatly rare, mosly depends on where you live and availabitly of used vws in your area. if you find one in good condition...post pics and stats of it up here on vortex and well tear it apart for ya
and tell ya whether its worth it or not
good luck HTH

· Registered
Mk4 VR6, Mk2 16v, E30, P71 CVPI
4,262 Posts
Re: general info on golf II (ValveCoverGasket)

That car is crazy expensive. I'd pay 5 G's for it, considering it's immaculate underhood, has no rot on any undercarriage part, and the side bolsters are perfect, etc, etc. It's a nice ride. A small dealer around here was selling a near perfect 91 Corrado G60 for that price. Here is what the recaro seats look like:

You sit in the Recaros, as opposed to sitting on the standard GL seats.

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: general info on golf II (fopeano)

what did those recaro seats come in stock? anything? or are they just a popular seat for these cars? how much do they run if you want to take out your old seats and put those in? thanks alot for the pic

· Registered
845 Posts
Re: general info on golf II (fopeano)

quote:[HR][/HR]You sit in the Recaros, as opposed to sitting on the standard GL seats.[HR][/HR]​
Oh! Trust me- I have a Golf with those seats and after I sat in the seats in my 87 GLi I just bought, I never want to sit in the Golf again. But then again, I do

· Registered
6,767 Posts
Re: general info on golf II (sublime5254)

quote:[HR][/HR]thanks for the information! here is one in my area. it looks nice but may be overpriced... it wasn't driven during the winters though... i don't know take a look.
http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/...25&advcd_on=n&advanced=n&color=&car_year=1992[HR][/HR]​

NO WINTERS AND 56k miles....i bet you could get them down to 5-6k if you walked in WITH THE CASH.

· Registered
9,227 Posts
Re: general info on golf II (nickinboston)

i got my set of power recaros for 250 cash, from a guy who knew what they were worth but didnt know how to find a buyer. just wait untill you find someone with the seats you want and buy them,,,,,or pay 5-600 for them.
Dave
p.s. mine are perfect....hehehe!!!!

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
check this out. i saw this one on gti16v.org... is this anyone from the vortex possibly? he hasn't email'd me back with pics.

"1992 GTi16V, Black, 48522 miles (07/15/02), Tecnomagnesio Sports (16x7)
wheels w/205-45 Potenza, Bonrath Badgeless grille, Hella Half black Half red taillights, stock/H&R Sports springs, Neuspeed P-chip, Techtonics
(stainless)/Borla exhaust, Purchased almost 2 years ago with 32000 miles,
in perfect shape. Email for photos
$6300.00 obo
[email protected]
Washington, DC., USA "

· Registered
1,368 Posts
Re: general info on golf II (ghostrider)

I'd walk in with $4,500.00 cash and watch them nut themselves... also its gettin colder and no car place sells shiot in the snow... as for the seats they are from a helios blue GLI, they are power and perdy rare but out of the car look perdy weird with a black dash, grey panels and a red car if u ask me. Well thats my 2 penny's
Bump
JW

· Registered
1,368 Posts
Re: general info on golf II (JWJET1)

Oh... umm looks hotwired, no heating controls or stereo? and no consol... is this the elusive theft recovery GTi? If you buy this car... get full coverage, sell me ur seats, put the shift knob on e-bay... sell the rims and all other interior parts, put the phucker on blocks in ur local "ghetto" and report that bad boy stolen...
Bump
JW

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.