1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Borgward Fans Rejoice?
Former German Luxury Brand Returning to Market
Date Posted 03-17-2005
A long-forgotten name is set to reappear on the automotive scene; German luxury carmaker, Borgward is staging a comeback.
Christian Borgward may only know his once-famous grandfather, Carl Friedrich W. Borgward, from tales told by his father or from magazines, but he's hooked on the family tradition. So much so that he is now planning the return of the Borgward brand.
Borgward existed from the 1930s through the 1950s. In its heyday it was on par with such luxury cars as Mercedes-Benz and BMW. But changing market conditions led to bankruptcy in 1961.
Now Borgward is poised to reappear. According to an interview in the German Welt magazine, Christian Borgward is planning a small series luxury sedan carrying the historic name. "It is still too early to talk about fine details, but the 'Borgward 2006' awaits a fascinating future," he said.
What this means to you: If you have to drive a German luxury sedan and a Mercedes or Porsche isn't exotic enough for you, the 2006 Borgward might be what you've been waiting for.
New Borgward idea....

Old Borgward

·
Registered
20,673 Posts
Re: German car company Borgward is to return from the dead??? (Volkswagenut)

Best of luck to this guy. Does he really have the financial resources to build a car like this independent of the current automotive empires? Will he be a John DeLorean/ Malcolm Bricklin or a Danny Panoz?
Mike

·
Registered
6,495 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Volkswagenut »
Old Borgward

one looks like a trabant... other like a tall karmann ghia......
best of luck

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Re: German car company Borgward is to return from the dead??? (silver30v)

Quote, originally posted by silver30v »

one looks like a trabant... other like a tall karmann ghia......
best of luck

The Borgward Isabella is regarded as one the most elegant 1950s German cars.
AutoBild had a nice sketch in their mag a few weeks ago of how a new Borgward Isabella could like, pretty nice.
The guy supposedly has a few investors from outside the car industry.
Borgward never was a luxury player, though, more like in the position of what VW is on today.
Good luck to this guy, but I have my doubts.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: German car company Borgward is to return from the dead??? (Eolair)

Quote, originally posted by Eolair »

Borgward never was a luxury player, though, more like in the position of what VW is on today.
Good luck to this guy, but I have my doubts.

My friend is restoring an Isabella at the moment.
The dash is all real, polished wood inside.
Also, he was telling me that a VW 4 cylinder engine/tranny would bolt right in. Maybe the new ones would be VW powered??

Modified by Volkswagenut at 8:12 AM 3-25-2005

·
Registered
624 Posts

I don't know if this will succeed. Bugatti is coming back, but they are having many problems with their car. Lets see how Borgward will do.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

More power to the guy but this, admittedly, artist conception looks like a mini car from 'Toon Town.

When I see the Borgward logo, I see a union of BMW and Renault much like how Mitsubishi's logo is derivative of its parents'.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Re: German car company Borgward is to return from the dead??? (Dinosaurius)

Luxury car maker? Nuh-uh. Maybe the P100 was a luxury car, but that's the design that sank the whole company, better to not mention that one, really.
They were mainstream cars in their day - but the German market was very different in the fifties, dominated by microcars like the Heinkel, Messerschmidt, and economy-minded or small-engined cars like the Beetle, NSU Prinz, and the BMW 6/700 and the Isetta, with a few high-buck models at the opposite extreme (BMW Baroque Angel, Mercedes).
The Borgward and the DKW/Auto Union models were basically the only mid-size, mainstrem cars you could buy from a German company back then, without buying a poverty model Mercedes.
Borgward also offered cheaper models under the Goliath and Lloyd names.
A new Borgward would be cool but it's awfully hard to just break in to the mainstream car business these days.

·
Banned
26,760 Posts
Re: German car company Borgward is to return from the dead??? (VRWolfsburg)

Quote, originally posted by VRWolfsburg »
I don't know if this will succeed. Bugatti is coming back, but they are having many problems with their car. Lets see how Borgward will do.

Bugatti came back with the help of capital investment under Volkswagen A.G... Borgward is wanting to come back with the help of capital investment of just a few individuals. It can be done, but it's going to be tough. Anyway, I've never even heard of Borgward before!

·
Registered
12,988 Posts
Sweet!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts