VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love tax returns! I live here in Oregon, about 100 miles south of Matrix Engineering in Portland, and in early February, I am going to get chipped. They offer a GIAC chip for $400 with a $75 soldering and installation fee, and they recommend the diverter valve for $135 and installation for that is $23. Then there is also the chip switcher available for $200, with an additional program (race, valet, etc) for $100. Total for the whole thing would be around $933, or without the chip switcher it would be $633. Is the chip switcher worth the $200(300) dollars? Who here has the chip switcher and how well does it work? Trying to figure out if the extra money would be justified or not. Thanks for any imput.

· Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Getting Chipped Soon (MB The Body)

From what I understand, it is only available for DBW cars, and my 1999 is Non-DBW. I am not sure the advantage of DirectPort Programming over this chip switching setup that uses a remote control. Seems fairly simple to me.

· Registered
17,503 Posts
Re: Getting Chipped Soon (jcm15)

Quote, originally posted by jcm15 »
Trying to figure out if the extra money would be justified or not. Thanks for any imput.

do you ever valet your car? do you have access to race gas? does anyone ever drive your car when you're not there and you don't want them to have full power?
if you say yes to any of these questions, than it might be something to think about. if not, what's the point? just get the chip and pocket the 300 bucks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.